Calling pearl pros - Strange baroque SSP

Now that Unusual Pearls has been outed as my supplier for all pearls weird and wonderful, I had to showcase some of the latest stuff that has come my way. Warning: For kooky south sea pearl lovers only.

I have my gemstone shaker briolettes (so "Happy Diamonds") but this is the first time I've actually encountered shaker pearls. My newest Maluku Island pearls seem to have a loose nucleus that shakes (it's audible - same sound a rattling peanut makes)! My question to the experts is - WHY? And my next question is - Should I ever attempt to therefore drill it? Because if advised not to, I'm perfectly happy shaking these pearls for the rest of my life just for the kick of it.

018.jpg

In the same clutch of weird silver-blue pearls there, you will also see monstrosities like the bulbous pearls that come in at 22mm. From what I was told, Mr Pearl Farmer thought it cool to conjoin his pearls with some adhesive to achieve this strange shape. It's not for everyone but I adore it. I really do.

021.jpg

Next up, the silver blue 11mm tahitian that I'm still admiring. Thank you, Unusual Pearls. It's mine now. I put it next to a 16mm silver-green-khaki tahitian just to see the contrast in colour.

023.jpg

And finally, my two newest silver-cream south sea pearls with appendages (Lol!) Again, all these weird and wonderful pearls are joining my trove of otherworldly pearls. I'm in awe of them all. I've been carrying my clutch of pearls around in a ziploc bag, and when I start feeling broody, I take them out for a secret fondle, and it's back to work. If my mind is on work at all. :)

027.jpg

Last edited:
Back