Buying tips in Shanghai

D

David

I am visiting Shanghai in just a few days and I'm interested in buying pearls. I have no direct experience with buying pearls but I've read a little. Does anyone have a recommendation for me in Shanghai? I understand there is a place called pearl city in the pedestrian mall where many pearl vendors are located. Is the quality good here? Are the prices fair? Is there a better place to go?

I'm actually staying in Hangzhou until Sept. 17. I hear there are purple pearls here. Are these naturally occuring? Does anyone have a contact in Hangzhou?

Many thanks,
Dave

David,

Shanghai is a good place to buy pearls. I see, however, that you have posted this question in the Akoya pearl forum. I would strongly suggest purchasing only freshwater pearls at any of these markets. You really need to be comfortable with Akoya pearls to get a good deal and not buy low-end goods. Shanghai is very near the freshwater pearling areas of China, so you can get good deals on these.
Purple pearls are available, and they may be natural but only if the color is a light lavender. If the pearls are deep purple, they are fancy-color dyed pearls (except for the very high-end Tahitian pearls). They do not naturally occur.

I would suggest this address is Shanghai, 558 Nanjing East Road. Also, I have a friend who owns a pearl company there. Her name is Li Ling Lin. She is honest and does not take tourists for a ride. You may reach her here:
(21) 63229299 or cell: (10) 67688008

Good luck!

Last edited:
David,

When you enter this Shanghai pearl store, you will be bombarded with every booth hawking their pearls. There are two or three floors and every booth is owned by an individual who has rented booth space.

Do as Jeremy suggests and visit his friends shop. Before visiting her, you may want to stop at some of the other vendors to get an idea of how they are operating and see their pearls. Their quoted prices are high because that is a high end tourist area. They will keep lowering the price as you refuse to buy.

They will keep up a continuous banter trying to force you into a quick decision to buy. Just take your time and look at their pearls carefully, and ask lots of questions.

Look at a lot of pearls, and take the time to look very carefully at many strands before you buy. After you've looked at a lot of pearls, then visit Jeremys friend, and you will see the difference in dealing with someone who is being honest with you, and with dealing with those who are there to rip off the tourists.

Hangzhou, as you know since you are there, is a beautiful and relaxing tourist area, and should be very crowded this time of year. Don't know any pearl outlets in this sity.

Disregard any mention the vendors make of Grade A, AA, AAA, or AAAA quality because it won't mean a thing. Its only puffing. Its what you see that counts.

Good luck,

Bill

All in all, is Bejing or Shanghai the best place for value and quality?

If it is Akoya pearls you are looking for I would say neither.

I have not been to either market for more than a year, and I doubt much has changed, but I think prices were better in Beijing. Shanghai is such a growing, rich metropolis - you can expect higher prices. It is closer to where the freshwater pearls are farmed, however.

Akoya Pearls at "Pearl City"

Akoya Pearls at "Pearl City"

David,

Just to add to what others have already mentioned, Pearl City in Shanghai is a great place to shop for nice freshwater pearls, but there is little by way of high quality Akoya. Most of the shops do not carry any Akoya pearls at all, and the one shop I know of there that does carry the Akoya, only offer smaller diameters (up to 6.5mm) and only A-AA grade quality. Still, if AA quality is sufficient for what your looking for, you should be able to get a nice 18" strand for a very reasonable price. The nice thing about Pearl city is that there are soo many vendors in one spot, it is easy to bounce back and forth and compare price and quality.

If you are shopping for freshwater and only want natural colors, keep in mind that the only naturally occuring colors for the chinese freshwater is white, black, pink, lavender and peach.

Have fun!!

Try the pearl market in Beijing. I have not been there is years, but I have always preferred it over Shanghai. Larger pearls (up to 8mm) should be available. Most of the production is in the 7.5mm range so it should not be difficult to find.

Paul, I just want to point out that black is not a natural freshwater pearl color...

I have been to both recently. I sell pearls part time. Beijing is definitely my market of choice. Some sellers have offices in both cities, but I always find the prices and selection are better in Beijing.

Travel to China

Travel to China

Thanks for the insight into buying pearls in China. I am traveling to China in April for three weeks and want to buy pearls. I have had a real dilemma on whether to buy pearls in Beijing or Shanghai... I think you have helped me out. I am also traveling to Xian and Guilin- any thoughts of what to buy there- any pearls? Thanks.

Heidie

Jade

Jade

Also- does anyone know the best place to buy jade? City? Store?

Heidie

i just don't know why so many foreigners neglect the pearl market in guangzhou, there are more than other cities you can find in guangzhou. and there are still jade market, stone market, etc. companies producing these kinds of products is much nearer to guangzhou and in guangzhou you can have a much lower price. and for the origin, you should look around guangzhou rather than other cities.

I can tell you why many do not deal with pearl companies in Guangzhou. There is really no reason to. The pearls are not produced in Guangzhou they are simply traded in Guanzhou. If a foreign buyer were to go to Guangzhou what would stop them from going to Behai, Wuxi, or Zhuji where they can get the pearls from the source.
For a trading center Hong Kong is a better choice for most smaller foreign buyers (and it is so close to Guanzhou). There is just much more of a selection available and doing business in HK is easy for foreigners - it can be difficult and dangerous in China. Guangzhou is great for the Canton Fair and Chinese manufacturing, but I have never found anything of interest, pearl related, in Guangzhou.

How about HK

How about HK

OK- one more question- how about buying pearls in Bejing or Shanghai versus HK?

You will have a good selection in HK, and overall the pearls will be better, but you will be able to negotiate lower prices in Shanghai and Beijing (negotiate being the key word). Business is much easier for the novice in HK.
One important thing to note is that the HK strands are often truly measured to their mm size, where as in China typical standard is .3 lower. Also, in HK the strands will string out to 18 inches. In China they will string to 17.

hello heidie,

while i am no pearl expert, i am an expat living in shangahi china and have bought pearls here from a couple of the places mentioned above (nanjing road and zhu ji).

i just wanted to mention another place, and that is the newer pearl/'craft' market in hongqiao (on the pu xi side of shanghai). it is bigger than pearl city on nanjing road, and the selection and prices are generally better (they have lots of stuff, not just pearls). my favorite store is the one jeremy mentioned, ling ling. there is a store on the second floor of the hongqiao market as well as the one on nanjing road. you will probably also see a nice store called ru pei-pei. they have nice stuff, but their prices seem really inflated to me and the staff can be quite rude. i still do business with them when i HAVE to, but i try to stick with ling ling. :D

i believe the hongqiao market is on hong mei lu......

erin :)

ps--i have been to xi an and gui lin. i have never heard of anyone going to those places for pearls. in fact, all i bought from my trips to those places was a charming little handpainted snuff bottle.

I have been wondering about the new Hongqiao!

Ru Pei Pei was considered one of the best by many, but she lost a lof of customers in the late 90's. I have never purchased from her so I am not sure of the chief complaints, but it sounds like it is a problem of attitude. I had this issue with Yong Hong many years ago (some of you will know her as Sharon).

If I have time next trip through Shanghai I will definitely hit Hongqiao. I have been promising Ling Ling a visit and dinner for more than 3 years now!

oh jeremy,

you should definitely take some time to visit hong qiao. i don't know how good the pearl quality is compared to nanjing road, but it is a fun jewelry market in general and i am sure you will get some good ideas from just looking around!

erin :)

Jade

Jade

Concerning Beijing vs Shanghai Vs Hong Kong, it would probably be best to let Jeremy answer that question. My only opinion is that HongKong dealers will speak English, which should add a higher level of comfort to you unless you happen to speak Mandarin, in which case you could do quite well in Beijing or Shanghai or elsewhere...

Anyway, concerning Jade, I just wanted to point out that very little of China's high quality Jade actually comes from China. Much of their jade is currently sourced from several southeast asian countries and the final production is performed by skilled Chinese labor. Again, there are a bounty of providers of Jade in Beijing and Shanghai but I can't provide much guidance as to which retailers will provide superior quality. One tip I can provide is to look for "jadeite" as it is the hardest, and best quality of the Jade varieties.

Where in Beijing

Where in Beijing

Please let us know the exact place we can buy Fresh Water pearls and Akoya pearls in Beijing? Any direction on how to get there?

Back