Buying pearls in China

Hi Amrita, and welcome!

Yes, I love both India and China (and lots of other places) but the jewellery and gemstones in India are amazing! Would love to go again soon, but sadly, don't have a real reason too at the moment. I'm kind of hoping my son will go back for a year or so, and then I can visit again!

I am off to HK & China next week - the Chinese govt have changed the visa system during this "Olympic" period, so I've had to change my plans a bit and it seems like I might actually go out to Zhuji afterall - if I do I will post some photos to try to explain a bit more about shopping in China and the market itself.... minus the hand puppet, Blaire (unless you can get Octavia to Sydney before Monday morning - she is, of course, most welcome.)

Hope to hear from you again Amrita!
Nerida.

Hi Amrita

and welcome to the forum. Would you care to elaborate on what you meant with "Zhuji is an eye opener"?

Thanks

Welll... just one more photo of 5 acres in St Michaels that my sister and I co-own. This is 3 miles from the capitol of Window Rock where I lived during my youth. I have a photo of that I took in 1955 but I'll spare you since it is so off topic...... I think I would do quite well in Mongolia and Siberia in the summer........
Don't you just love the west? I do. Now if we could just get most of these other folks to leave it would e heaven.. And as far as Shanghai goes. I am not impressed. First you have to have your hand on your wallet at all times. And "The Bund" smells like urine. The smog is worse then L.A. in the early 70's. The growth is impressive but again it reminds me of L.A. And the fake ROLEX's aren't as good as in Shenzhen.LOL

Mikeyy,

Don't you just love the west? I do. Now if we could just get most of these other folks to leave it would be heaven.

Are you sure you are not in Oregon??? ;)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thank you, Nerida and Jerin, for your welcoming words!

The pearl market in Zhuji is an eye-opener in the sense that I do not think anywhere in the world you would see a pearl market that is as sprawling as a vegetable market and where pearls are displayed with such abandon as if they were grains or cereals or lentils...:), at least on the first floor. There are "sacks" full of them, baskets full of them, counters are overflowing with them! There are pearls of every thinkable shape and size, every thinkable and unthinkable color, and every quality to be found.

On the second floor then you have some "showrooms" of the big pearls companies like "Tear of Angel", "Grace" etc....and once inside it seems like sanity returns a bit as it seems pearls are displayed as they should be! But then you quickly lose it again once you hear the prices they quote :D!

So if it is your first visit to the Zhuji market, it is sure to be some experience (it left me gaping when I first went there last year even though I had been to the Beijing HongQiao many times)! Good Luck in Zhuji, Nerida!

Cheers,
Amrita
www.harmonypearls.com

Hi Amrita,

Sadly, I don't thing I am going to get to Zhuji this trip. I am in Hong Kong at present, up to Shanghai tomorrow. Due to the huge public holidays in China this week, organizing internal travel is a complete nightmare. No train availability at all, apparently... I will still go down to the station tomorrow to try my luck - I can always change flights home if necessary! Retail prices on pearls here in HK are very high - some good deals in the markets and also with a couple of wholesalers I've found.

Will keep you posted, and I will take some photos at the wholesalers in Shanghai tomorrow (still can't work it out - almost all businesses still open on a major "holiday").

Hi Nerida! Good to know you are in this region - welcome! Yes, holiday time here can make the whole train system go topsy turvy. This year is the first one when the Labour Day holiday has been reduced to 1 day (on May1) from 2 days (May 1 & 2) in previous years. But in China it is common practice to merge a national holiday with a weekend if there is one close at either end. As a result, people are having 3 days off May 1-3 (Thurs - Sat) and resume work on Sunday(!) to compensate for the Friday. So there is a rush on trains, buses and domestic planes because of the long weekend. Sorry your trip timing happened to coincide with this.

Just for people who are planning trips to China, it would be good to know that the main "national" holidays are as follows:

[*]New Year's Day - Jan 1
[*]Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) - Jan-Feb - 1 week to 3 weeks differs from company to company.
[*]Tomb Sweeping Day (Qing Ming Festival) - Mar-Apr - 1 day
[*]May Day - May 1 - 1 day
[*]Dragon Boat Festival - June 7 - 1 day
[*]Mid-Autumn Festival - Sep 15 - 1 day
[*]National Day holiday - Oct 1-3 - 3 days

Just remember that the 1 day holidays can turn into 3 days off when combined with a weekend, and the 3 days National holiday can be turned into a 7 day consecutive break by combining the 2 weekends on either sides with the holiday. For example, Oct 1,2 and 3 are Wed, Thu and Fri this year - so what is inevitably going to happen is that people will work on the Sep 27 and 28 weekend and then take the 29th and 30th off, so that they can then be off work for 7 consecutive days, including the weekend of Oct 4 & 5 at the other end. This kind of thing has until recently been encouraged by the government and has given a great boost to the tourism industry. On the other hand, holiday times prove to be a transportational nightmare for unsuspecting people wanting to take a trip around China at these times. Realizing this, I think, the national holidays have been scattered around different times of the year starting this year.

Most retail businesses do keep open to take advantage of the crowds of holiday makers from remote areas who visit the big cities during this time!

Anyway, I wish you well and hope your trip is successful. Look forward to your photos. Do let me know if you plan to come to the Beijing-Tianjin area - we could plan to meet!:)

Cheers,

Hi Amrita - no Beijing this trip, but maybe next time.

China is a bit of a traveller's nightmare at the moment - visa restrictions so that only single entry visas issued (so no hopping to Shenzhen from HK first), carry-on luggage restrictions ++ (maybe due to holiday, but gossip is mostly due to Tibet issues?) and the holidays combining to limit travel. Oh, and the Olympic torch is Hong Kong when we return there on Friday, so traffic will be at a complete standstill...

Still, always thankful of the opportunities I have to travel. I have just had one of our Chinese hosts offer to provide me with a guide in Shanghai. I tried to explain that I knew my way around a little, so here's hoping that they don't mind pearl shopping!! Maybe they can take some photos..;)

Back