Buyer beware-a glossary of terms any Estate Agent would be proud to utter

I see Shana has pulled the first necklace. I put in a bid of $30 and told her why.
This was her reply:

""Dear Patricia Saab,

As it happens, another customer contacted me about these pearls
just last week. She was kind enough to direct me to a pearl
website, where I hope to get a better description and appraisal.
I should have removed the listing while waiting for the expert
advice. Thanks for reminding me of the problem.

I try to describe things as accurately as possible, and take
pictures which are detailed enough so that people can make good
decisions prior to purchasing items. My expertise is in gold,
and I don't pretend to be an expert in anything else. I would
certainly never want to saddle anyone with something they would
not be happy with!

So, I won't be able to accept your offer. The necklace should be
relisted with better details and a price based on an expert
opinion in a few weeks. If you are still interested in
purchasing the necklace then, please let me know.

Thanks,
Shan Wilkins
Ruby Lane shop Finer Things Jewelry""

I suggested she would be well served by having a true pearl expert on staff. I also mentioned I knew people who were pleased with their Ruby Lane purchases.

I think it is good to keep on her about these pearls---who wants to have the next go round???

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH Now I'm really terrified. Is this what all newcomers do??? Wade through all this information and become progressively more scared?

So I invite any or all the PIs here, please come and tell me what I have. I'm pretty sure I have mostly FW strands & FW button stud earrings, but I have a few single pearl pendants & rings, which were sold to me as South Seas. I have a double strand bracelet which the maker called 'Fishtails', with the faintest pink blush. I have a bracelet left made from a strand of 'keshis' (surely FW as well) with very striking lustre.

I do realise I have most probably been ripped off.... I hope to become more aware.
I really do not want to be one of those dreaded retailer/makers who have no idea: thats why I am here, to learn, so I can talk with some knowledge to my customers.

Hi purlgurl,

If you like, start your own thread under "show us your pearls." We can help you id what you have. Take good close up photos. It is fun to have your own thread and you can add to it in time as you purchase and create jewelry!

There will be a time soon when you realize you have absorbed a lot and have greater confidence--certainly I remember knowing very little and terrified after purchasing a rather expensive strand from Carolyn Ehret (a member here and one of ebays few reliable sellers) and relief at finding P-G and its wealth of information.

If you have purchased on luster alone, you no doubt have some lovely pieces!

Back