Black and white pearl strand - maker?

AlayneM

Can't remember the maker of these (surely, cultured) pearls. I believe they were purchased in Spain in the 1980s, but my father may have brought them back from a business trip to Saudi Arabia. The underside of the clasp is stamped 835. Any insight would be appreciated.
IMG_20220530_123328520_HDR.jpg

From my reading .835 is a silver mark used in Europe for a silver alloy that contains less silver than sterling (which is .925).

The pearls could be imitation. The way the pearls are finished near the clasp, as well as their very uniform appearance, leads me to believe this is the case. There are some very nice imitations out there. Majorica, Mallorca and the like, for example.

You can try the "Tooth test" as an informal test. Rub the pearls against the edge of your front tooth to see if they feel gritty or smooth. (But wipe the pearls clean first!!) Or else rub one of the pearls against another.
Genuine nacre feels gritty when rubbed this way, while imitation pearl coating feels smooth.

They look like Mallorca pearls to me. And Spain was a great place to buy them back in the day.

I recall being stumped for what to say when someone said to me ' Oh yes, these are real pearls, I went to the Mallorca factory to see them being made'

I recall being stumped for what to say when someone said to me ' Oh yes, these are real pearls, I went to the Mallorca factory to see them being made'
I guess this person meant "Real" in the sense they are not "Imaginary". But yes...I've had people telling me the same thing.

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearl necklace was imitation, as were Barbara Bush's pearl necklaces.
So wear and enjoy it anyway!

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearl necklace was imitation, as were Barbara Bush's pearl necklaces.
So wear and enjoy it anyway!
I agree. May not be made from cultured pearls...and there was a time some said that cultured pearls were not "real pearls"!
There is actually a brand out there calling itself "The Vegan Pearl"...so you basically have "Vegan Pearls". Things are to be enjoyed!

I guess this person meant "Real" in the sense they are not "Imaginary". But yes...I've had people telling me the same thing.
Back in the day I had someone interested in a necklace. Her friend turned to her very loudly and said 'of course these are just freshwater pearls. I have some real cultured pearls at home'
exit the potential customer, swept away by her sneery 'friend'

Back in the day I had someone interested in a necklace. Her friend turned to her very loudly and said 'of course these are just freshwater pearls. I have some real cultured pearls at home'
exit the potential customer, swept away by her sneery 'friend'
"Pearl Ego" does get in the way many times. I've been under its sway so I know.

Back