Bead-nucleated FW Drops on Ebay

P

pattye

Hi All

Here's a new type of FW hitting the e-waves, item 200099357052.
Pretty large, interesting color, what kind of mussel could it come from?
I agree with Jeremy that we will be seeing more of the bead-nucleated freshwater appearing. I did get a strand of white drops, smashed one on purpose to look at the bead, the nacre was over 1mm thick at the thinest part. For some reason I expected a smooth bead inside, but it was kind of rough all over, and seemed heavy for its size. I couldnt tell for sure that it was mop. Thought the pearls would make fun earrings.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Could we see the worldly remains of that pearl? The autopsy sounds interesting so far :cool:

Those could definitely be bead nucleated fireballs. The mussel would still just be H. cumingii I would assume. From Hunan where they are doing all the nuke operations. The seller probably pulled the two of them from a strand (or someone did) because they matched pretty well. That would explain why they are drilled for a necklace.

I also smashed one once. I did it for Modern Jeweler - that interview I did with Federman a year ago.
Fireball Article

Mr. Federman believed that fireballs were cultured with a pearl - this is what Fuji Voll had been claiming (he said). But this is not what I had heard, and it just did not make sense. So I broke one and sent it to him. It was just low-grade nucleus. Likely saltwater as well.

Btw. just looked over the listings of the seller. Wonder how they have decided that THESE have natural color. It could be that the pictures are way psichedelic and we are not seeing what they were, but still.

I am trying to figure out this durn camera and how to download to my computer. I know it isn't hard, I will persevere. also smashed a big dyed black pearl, it had a really bad spot, the whole strand was so round I wasnt certain if they had a bead inside, but there wasn't!;) It was really interesting the way the layers came off. I will hopefully show a photo of that also. Later!

Pattye

Hi all,

I have purchased items from this seller, including the abalone pendant. Obviously I don't know her sources, but she does know pearls, I would say the pearls would look just as in the photo. To date, pearls I have gotten from her were very nice and just as represented.

Pattye

ps I agree the colors are very flamboyant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how they have decided that THESE have natural color.

The color could definitely be natural. Those big baroques often have exotic colors. We have one strand that fades from peach to bronze and back several times. Freshwater can have amazing colors!

pattye said:
Hi all,

I have purchased items from this seller, including the abalone pendant...

The one with a gold frame? It looks like potential earrings are on their way :cool:

Same impression about this seller. In fact, I think I got her Ebay address from this forum somewhere.

Back