Attack solvent question

starfish

Community member
I am trying to switch some 14k and pearl earring fittings. I have tried the microwave/hot water method but nothing is coming loose. I ordered some attack solvent but am hesitant to use it until I get some expert advice.
The directions say after soaking to clean with soapy water and acetone. I can't think the acetone is meant for pearls. Can I just clean with soapy water? The pearls are Tahitian and akoya.

Many thanks

The acetone is to remove any residual glue goo that may be on the pearl or the finding.

You could wet a swab with the acetone, wipe away the glue, and then wash the pearl/finding right away with with soap and water. Brief contact with acetone will not damage the pearl, but you wouldn't want to leave the pearl soaking in acetone.

By the way, be sure to screw the cap back on very well, and maybe even seal the can of Attack in a zipper type bag after use. When I was rearranging my work area and picked up my can of Attack, which I had only used once, it was nearly empty. It had evaporated. I thought I'd capped it well but apparently not well enough.

JerseyPearl, superglue is dissolved by acetone.

Last edited:
I accidentally broke the head off of a pendant finding, and really it's not worth trying to solder back on to the post (not even sure that could be done!) To remove the post, what's the best next step? Should I soak the tip of the pearl where the post nub is sticking out? Or should I have it drilled from the bottom and pour solution into the new hole? I can't believe I did something this insane...but that's what happens when you have a glass of wine while inserting a pendant finding! If the post cannot be removed, I'm sure I can find some other use for the pearl. Or I can keep it as a reminder that sacrifices are to be made, and if this is it for me, then my problems are not that bad!

I accidentally broke the head off of a pendant finding, and really it's not worth trying to solder back on to the post (not even sure that could be done!) To remove the post, what's the best next step? Should I soak the tip of the pearl where the post nub is sticking out? Or should I have it drilled from the bottom and pour solution into the new hole? I can't believe I did something this insane...but that's what happens when you have a glass of wine while inserting a pendant finding! If the post cannot be removed, I'm sure I can find some other use for the pearl. Or I can keep it as a reminder that sacrifices are to be made, and if this is it for me, then my problems are not that bad!

There are typically a couple of things that can be done.

First, I would see if you can remove the piece that broke off. If you soak the pearl in attack, often it will come out.

If you can't get it to come out and the pearl is round, drill immediately next to the piece that is stuck and set the pearl using the new hole (as long as the new post has a cup that will cover the old hole).

If the pearl isn't round (the drill point is static), drill immediately next to the broken piece but just through the nacre of the pearl and not the full depth. If done right, it will expose the side of the broken post and you can use some sort of sharp tool to wiggle the post enough to break the seal.

There are typically a couple of things that can be done.

First, I would see if you can remove the piece that broke off. If you soak the pearl in attack, often it will come out.

If you can't get it to come out and the pearl is round, drill immediately next to the piece that is stuck and set the pearl using the new hole (as long as the new post has a cup that will cover the old hole).

If the pearl isn't round (the drill point is static), drill immediately next to the broken piece but just through the nacre of the pearl and not the full depth. If done right, it will expose the side of the broken post and you can use some sort of sharp tool to wiggle the post enough to break the seal.
Thank you!!

I have a product which releases superglue in about five minutes tops - you could check places that sell superglue. It paints on with a brush like nail polish (and comes in a pot like polish too) and you just add drips until it wiggles loose.
For a post broken off level with the pearl so nothing to get hold of you can also simply drill out the post itself if you can get hold of a 1mm drill bit.
I blogged about this on April 4 this year with a pic of a glue misadventure

Are the pearls affected by these solvents? I'm guessing not in the short term, but over a longer time period would the pearls show some effect/s?

I soaked a pearl in Attack for 1 week with no ill effects. (The glue was very stubborn.)

I soaked a pearl in Attack for 1 week with no ill effects. (The glue was very stubborn.)

Thanks! I was wondering if soaking pearls will somehow weaken their nacre and cause flaking or discolouration some time down the road?

If it helps, I used Attack on my pearl about 3 years ago and there has been no long term effect in that amount of time.

I wanted to update you all on the sticky situation...sorry, couldn't resist!

I was able to remove the broken post after about an hour of soaking in acetone (100%). I am very pleased to report that the pearl came out unscathed. I have now attached a new finding, and the pearl looks great! Thanks for the help on this...I really appreciate it!!!

JP, it's good to hear everything worked out. I have had some glue come off using Attack, sometimes 1 night, others up to 3 nights. Attack evaporates really fast. It's very noticeable after 1 day. I close the lid really tight and put Attack inside a zip loc bag just like Pearl Dreams. I use a very fine tip scissor to pry it open.

Back