Attaching a pendant to knotted pearl necklace...need reinforcement?

shephehv

I'm working on a custom necklace for someone who wants a pendant of theirs on a knotted necklace that I create. When adding a pendant to a knotted pearl (or gemstone) necklace, what are the ways you can securely & safely attach the pendant? Specifically, is there a link that the pendant bail sits on or something? In this project, the beads will not go within the bail, and I'd like to avoid the bail resting on threading. Is there a component that's helpful to project the silk/thread while accommodating the pendant? Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

You could string on a curved metal noodle/tube bead at the center of the necklace, and suspend the bail from that. You would need to use a tube that was narrow enough to fit through the bail.

There are also interchangeable enhancer bails, like these hangers:

Alternatively you could suspend the bail from an oval push clasp (also called an "orbit clasp")-- in other words, the necklace clasp is worn in front and the pendant hangs from the same part of the clasp that closes the necklace. Let me hunt up some photos of this posted by others here on PG.

I also recall some beautiful carabiners that can be used to hang a pendant. Let me find links....

Okay, I found a link to posts about the carabiners-- see this post and one a few posts down from it:

you're the best!! these recommendations are so helpful! thank you for the response:)

One more -- I just took this photo to illustrate. This is an oval push clasp a.k.a. "orbit clasp", worn in front. They come in different sizes and different metals.

Using oval push clasp in front to hang pendant.jpeg

I've always been a bit concerned about an enhancer that hangs right over the pearls. I imagine over time it could scratch the center pearls.
Some of these other ideas eliminate that risk.

These are great ideas! I figured the options would plentiful, but I was lacking the technical term needed for my materials search. Attached is a photo of the pendant we're looking to design with. It will likely be a gemstone necklace, but I know the gem beads will be too large for the pendant to rest on. And, I agree that the pendant and/or the pearls or gems would wear over time with use.
image0.jpeg

Wow, glamorous!

Are you going to use thread to string the gemstone beads? When stringing gemstones I prefer using coated beading wire as the stone beads sometimes have rough areas near the drill hole that can cut through thread.

To add flexibility I have sometimes used round 3mm garnet beads where knots would be, between the gemstone beads. But round gold beads could also be used.

Wow, glamorous!

Are you going to use thread to string the gemstone beads? When stringing gemstones I prefer using coated beading wire as the stone beads sometimes have rough areas near the drill hole that can cut through thread.

To add flexibility I have sometimes used round 3mm garnet beads where knots would be, between the gemstone beads. But round gold beads could also be used.
It's a nice pendant she has, and I'm honored she asked me to string it for her! In terms of stringing, I plan to use the Serafil thread. I have definitely run into problems with the drill holes on some other gemstone projects (and ripping my thread..at the very end!). Some people have the preference of how thread feels vs how wire feels. in this case, she'd like the thread. Once I get my hands on the pendant, I'll make a final decision! I love the idea of using the garnet beads as "knots" as well...will shelf that idea for another project! Thank you!

I just took this shot of 2 tourmaline necklaces I made that are strung on beading wire; the round one has 2mm garnet beads for spacers and twisted GF corrugated spacers, and the nuggets have round 3mm GF beads.

The round ones have Twisted Tornado crimps but lately I prefer using Scrimps (that is the Beadalon name; firemountaingems has other crimps with screws). I used Scrimps on the nuggets one.

I find them flexible enough, though not as flexible as they would be on thread.
2 Tourmaline necklaces.jpeg

A consideration is that the pendant, if heavy, will pull the knots tighter-- just because of gravity-- and the necklace will need to be restrung more often than it might have been without the weight of a heavy pendant.

A consideration is that the pendant, if heavy, will pull the knots tighter-- just because of gravity-- and the necklace will need to be restrung more often than it might have been without the weight of a heavy pendant.
Ooo, yes! A good thought too. Thank you!

Back