Are these nice pearls?

evinz

From a bracelet I just picked up on eBay, sold as "vintage Akoya cultured pearls". What do you call this type of luster? I think it's not metallic.

Thank you so much! Super new to pearls but I have already succumbed to the addiction and have learned an amazing amount in the last month or so (unless you don't like the pearls, haha)
IMG_7086.jpeg
IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_7085.jpeg

It's good luster...but I get these "Imitation pearl vibes" from these. I could be wrong...I mean, I do not have the pearls in my hand and photos can deceive you.
Have you "tested" the pearls?

It's good luster...but I get these "Imitation pearl vibes" from these. I could be wrong...I mean, I do not have the pearls in my hand and photos can deceive you.
Have you "tested" the pearls?
I don't have them in hand yet either! Just purchased. I'll do the tooth and black light tests, for sure.

Had a second look at the pearls...now I have thin nacre Akoya vibes from them. Try using the black light first, to avoid damaging the nacre coating!

I know! I have divided opinions: either imitation or low grade Akoya.

In the photo with the scallop shell decoration, I am seeing different overtones in the pearls. I still think akoya.
But evinz should rub 2 of the pearls together (gently) to see if they feel gritty. If they glide easily on one another, that is a characterisitc typical of imitation pearls.

I can't wait to get these and solve the mystery! They should be here next week and I will definitely post photos.

I also ordered a freshadama bracelet from Pearl Paradise, so there can even be comparison photos.

Honestly I might have wasted some money on eBay by buying vintage pearls in the $100-200 range (this bracelet, a necklace with mediocre luster in person, and a 3.5 momme set of graduated akoyas which I actually love) instead of saving up for the akoya necklace of my dreams. I should have stopped with the graduated Akoyas.

If you're curious, here are the graduated Akoyas
and the necklace that (to my eyes) has less luster. I know both are real from doing the black light test, but the graduated pearls seem like better quality. There's just so much I need to learn!

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7111.jpeg
    IMG_7111.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
@evinz, the graduated necklace is quite pretty!

I want to encourage you to restring it. The knots are a bit grimy and this means the silk is weakened and at risk of breaking. A lot of us restring our own pearls. See my tutorial (it isn't hard):

So I just got these yesterday. They are real (4-5 pearls at the ends of the bracelet have ripple blemishes, they pass the black light test). BUT I think I can see how they are low quality. Pics below. The first three are this bracelet next to the Pearl Paradise freshadama bracelet (which just arrived), akoyas are at bottom and left. Last pic is this bracelet next to the vintage graduated akoya strand, bracelet on left.

So my follow-up question (and @Pearl-love had the same q right before I spammed the thread with other pieces): how could you guys tell that the nacre is thin from the first set of photos? They do have sort of a glassy luster, is that an indication of thin nacre? Was that why you said low quality? In person they do seem round and well-matched, but the luster is not so bright.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions so far! This has been really educational for me. Now that I have some good pearls to compare this bracelet to, I can see how the luster is stronger and brighter on the other two strands, this is the lowest quality of the three and I think I'm seeing the same attributes you guys picked up on.

Attachments

• IMG_7127.jpeg
    IMG_7127.jpeg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7134.jpeg
    IMG_7134.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
@evinz : Do remember we are working with photos here...not the actual pearls. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE when working with actual pearls. Photos are static, the results depend on your light, angle, grime on your lenses, our monitors/screens, and even our EYES.
You just SEE certain things that act as indicators, but we could be totally off due to the fact we are working with photographs.

What I saw with the 1st set of photos was a "milky" look, that if it comes from Akoya it means I am looking at the beads under a very thin nacre coating. But also kind of looked like some imitation pearls (they do want to imitate the real deal, and it is always easier to imitate low grade pearls)

Last edited:
Thanks Douglas and @BWeaves. Your point about seeing the pearls is well taken. Now that I'm looking at the vintage strands I bought on ebay, I can really see the differences between them. I love two and regret two, this bracelet is one of the strands I regret! Thanks again for your help.

Back