Are these abalone pearls?

newbee

hi all, wondering if someone could tell me if these are abalone pearls. found it while cleaning my abalone.
First thought was "whats a sharks tooth doing in here". then a friend said it looks like a pearl.
a bit of research on the net and its a perfect match in shape for a "horn".
sorry about the pictures not great light, but has the blue/gold/green colors through out.
size is 1.2cm long 0.8 wide and 0.5cm thick.
Its not as bright as some examples on this site but it was found in melbourne from a black lip. I think they are
uncommon here so would be nice to know if it is one.
thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0654.jpg
    DSC_0654.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0670.jpg
    DSC_0670.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0671.jpg
    DSC_0671.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0672.jpg
    DSC_0672.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0673.jpg
    DSC_0673.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0674.jpg
    DSC_0674.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0676.jpg
    DSC_0676.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 24
Welcome, I'm no expert on abalone pearls, but it certainly looks like one, plus where you found it!

Oh yes, I would say you have a very nice Abalone horn pearl. Can't think that it would be anything else. Lucky you.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

It's an abalone pearl, probably a green abalone. Although it's horn shaped,I don't think it's the classic horn from the hepatopancreas. It's from a perforation in the mantle.

A horn would have the dark color at one end and not be concaved on one side. Perforations have the dark line of conchiolin all the way around it.

It has nice gold and greens.

It's an abalone pearl, probably a green abalone. Although it's horn shaped,I don't think it's the classic horn from the hepatopancreas. It's from a perforation in the mantle.

A horn would have the dark color at one end and not be concaved on one side. Perforations have the dark line of conchiolin all the way around it.

It has nice gold and greens.

Thanks for your help, will keep it as no one i've spoken to around here (melbourne, australia) has heard of one. Is it of any value?
thanks again.

Single finds by non-professionals rarely bring in much money. How easy it is to sell, depends on how large it is. If it is over 1/2" or so, you might get some interest. People value abalone pearls at high prices, but when they come on the market unset, they are not actually very valuable unless large. Your is borderline.

We have a member in New Zealand who took a couple of years to sell his smaller abalone pearls. I got a 5ct, 12mm x 7mm x2mm, one for $20 -with one really good side.

Single finds by non-professionals rarely bring in much money. How easy it is to sell, depends on how large it is. If it is over 1/2" or so, you might get some interest. People value abalone pearls at high prices, but when they come on the market unset, they are not actually very valuable unless large. Your is borderline.

We have a member in New Zealand who took a couple of years to sell his smaller abalone pearls. I got a 5ct, 12mm x 7mm x2mm, one for $20 -with one really good side.

Thanks for your help, I may look at getting it set to something for myself. one last question are they uncommon to melbourne?

thank you for your help, might look at getting it set for myself. one last question. Are they uncommon to melbourne?
thanks again

Of the top of my head, I think it is possible for the abalone to live along the southern coast of Aus, but it most New Zealand that is famed for abalone.

OK. so I checked Strack (p259) . Australia is the largest source for living wild abalones. 1997 annual production was 5,000 tons. Mainly Tasmania and southern Aus. They are also bred on farms.

Thanks for asking!

yes sorry, there are quite a few abalone here. I meant what are the chances of finding a pearl in one?

Not good.

The best place to get abalone pearls, by all accounts, is from the meat traders , who gather surprisingly few over the decades. A least in the past they kept the pearls if they wanted to- because they are weird and not worth that much until the last 10-20 years when more people know about them. Still, it is hard to find a pretty abalone pearl. I imagine the odds depend on the health of the abalone shells and parasite activity.

I think yours is a pretty one. It is a wonderful talisman of southern Australia, like wearing a shark tooth you found yourself, only it is so colorful!

hi all, wondering if someone could tell me if these are abalone pearls. Found it while cleaning my abalone.
First thought was "whats a sharks tooth doing in here". Then a friend said it looks like a pearl.
A bit of research on the net and its a perfect match in shape for a "horn".
Sorry about the pictures not great light, but has the blue/gold/green colors through out.
Size is 1.2cm long 0.8 wide and 0.5cm thick.
Its not as bright as some examples on this site but it was found in melbourne from a black lip. I think they are
uncommon here so would be nice to know if it is one.
Thanks.

thank you everyone for your advice and comments...:)
i feel very lucky to have found it..

Back