An unfortunate Mikimoto situation

pearlinhand

I'm looking for expert information on my unfortunate situation. Reading previous messages from this forum I see that the most important value criterion for Mikimoto pearls is placed on the clasp and certification. I inherited a Mikimoto pearl necklace purchased by my dad in Tokyo in the 1950's (during the Korean War) for his mother. Because there was some sort of exporting restriction of 'finished products' he shipped the strand of pearls from Tokyo claspless. I don't know if he shipped the clasp separately or if it was reclapsed in the U.S. by my grandmother ,but in their current state there are no surviving papers or trademarks to identify them as Mikimoto.

The pearls seem to be in decent shape for being over 50 years old. It's a strand of what looks like 14 or 16 inches and the pearls go from smaller to larger in the center - they are round, cream color with a slightly pinkish hue. I can't find any cracks or major blemishes on the surface.

Without branding information, can the region and type of pearls be identified by the design and pearls themselves? And are they worth anything besides sentimental value? Is it worth having them officially appraised?

They do have some value and if you like them thats all that counts - it would be impossible to determine if these were originally Mikimoto pearls or not though. As you mentioned, without the clasp and paperwork they are simply Akoya pearls.

Back