Alison Britton's antique natural pearls

oh alison! hey, i have an idea! what if you took ONE pearl off of each necklace you buy? okay, that makes no sense,, you need symmetry..... TWO pearls...... you'd have your own necklace in NO time! lol

that last necklace was just LOVELY! small or not (i like small pearls - i find them so charming!) the colour looked amazing!

- jodie -

Congratulations Alison, you have some beautiful finds there. Magnificent.

I too am a natural pearl hunter. There is nothing like holding a new find in your hands. The hunt is fun too, the anticipation. As I am in Australia far from the GIA or EGL I have not had any certified yet. For the most part when I am sure I have naturals I am 100% sure but there are other necklaces that I do need x-rayed.

I am sure we will continue to hunt for our precious naturals.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Naural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

thanks for posting these Alison

I especially like the first (#3) 22 inch Necklace with the single Old European cut Natural Diamond in the early section of the thread, and the Victorian Double Natural Pearl and Diamond ring in the more recent section

there is just something about old pearl and diamond pieces.....

it is great to be able to read the certificates too

what wonderful jewels !!

No -- to my knowledge the labs here will not provide x-rays them with the certificates. I would love to see that practice change, though.

Thanks, Alex! I have been off doing more treasure hunting, and hope to have results to show soon. I have several items at EGL, and a couple more to send shortly. I have always had a passion for antique jewelry, but when I discovered what natural pearls were ... that changed the whole game.

The EGL in Vancouver does pearl xrays and reports. Although I would say lilliefuzzysocks' statement is correct.

These are so beautiful Alison - I sometimes come back to have another look :rolleyes:

how is the treasure hunting going ?

Antique Natural Pearl Earrings

Antique Natural Pearl Earrings

This is a beautiful pair of late 19th century earrings with natural pearls.

The pearls are undrilled, white and very round. At first glance they might be dismissed as later cultured pearls, but looking at the surface texture under a loupe -- combined with the very low response to longwave UV -- led me to have them tested, and fortunately I was right!

I think the ear wires are a later addition, and that originally these shapes were probably part of a necklace.

Attachments

• Bluebells closeup
    Bluebells closeup
    54.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 84.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 82.4 KB · Views: 68
Natural Freshwater Pearl Ring

Natural Freshwater Pearl Ring

Another recent find -- a platinum and diamond ring with a large natural freshwater button pearl!

The ring dates to the 1910s-1920s, and the pearl is original to it. I love the simple setting that allows the pearl to stand out.

Attachments

• DSC01731
    DSC01731
    32 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01764
    DSC01764
    36.3 KB · Views: 48
  • dripping in pondslimes -- can't have enough
    dripping in pondslimes -- can't have enough
    30.3 KB · Views: 54
Your finds are amazing. It really must be like hunting treasures :)

- Karin

Karin, yes! I consider it to be a cross between a treasure hunt and a rescue mission. I hope to have some more items to post in a few weeks.

Back