Akoya studs for my 7month old--what size??

est190

My little baby girl was born in June. She just had her ears pierced and I wanted to get her little akoya studs for valentine's day. The smallest size most online merchants carry is 6mm. Will they look ridiculously big in her ears?

I would definitely suggest something smaller, like in the 5 mm range. We don't normally carry them, but I'm sure quite a number of online sellers do, even if they aren't listed on their Websites.

Did you ask her what color she would prefer? Hope she doesn't decide to get a tattoo until she is around 8 months. It's a big decision. ;)

Do little ones have special studs that they can't remove? Their little hands could presumably undo normal studs ... this is news to me - I didn't know infants ever had their ears pierced! Does the piercing spot stay in the same place relative to the earlobe for life? e.g. if it's right in the middle when you're a few months old, will it still be right in the middle later in life? Wow - this forum is a place to learn new things! : )

Hi Mary,

I have many students whose ears were pierced as infants. They appear to maintain their central placement on the ear lobe.

Do little ones have special studs that they can't remove? Their little hands could presumably undo normal studs ... this is news to me - I didn't know infants ever had their ears pierced! Does the piercing spot stay in the same place relative to the earlobe for life? e.g. if it's right in the middle when you're a few months old, will it still be right in the middle later in life? Wow - this forum is a place to learn new things! : )

It is very common in Spain and India, among other places.

- Karin

It is very common in Spain and India, among other places.

- Karin

And in Argentina. The newly born baby girls come out of maternity ward with earrings already implanted.

Usually, infant earrings have screw backs (to prevent removal or a choking hazard, I presume). I've seen infant pearl earrings with screw backs online, around 3 mm, but none of them seem to be akoyas.

Do you live in an area with joyeria? That would be Spanish for jewelry store. The Mexican jewelry stores in Tucson carry those. I have bought some with pearls several times over the years, in Mexico and Tucson.

Back