Akoya/saltwater wholesale is difficult to find?

cooper82

Hello all,

This is a really interesting and novel community, I must say, having read many of the posts here and gotten a bit of inside knowledge that I would not find on the usual articles. I’m doing a bit of research on the pearl business mainly out of interest/curiosity, and it seems to me that it’s very easy to acquire genuine, half-decent cultured freshwater pearls from China on a wholesale basis, but that it’s really not easy to find wholesale saltwater pearls like akoya on the Internet. I’ve searched quite hard. Have I missed something? Or is it just the reality that you must have connections and networks in order to easily, efficiently, and affordably secure akoya pearls?

There are various places like eBay that claim to have saltwater oysters, but having read the threads here about the often dubious eBay pearl market, I would not ever trust eBay or a similar site when it comes to securing akoya pearls. I have found places like Wen’s on Etsy that seem to sell legitimate akoya pearls, but that is more a boutique shop than a large supplier, it seems.

Sorry to ask such a boring question. I just feel like I would like to clear up my confusion. Is akoya wholesaling only available/advisable for insiders?

Many vendors buy their supplies at the Hong Kong show ... one such show was held last week. I believe they are held 3x/year.

Are you considering becoming a pearl vendor, or just thinking of buying pearls for your own use? There are good online sources of akoya pearls whose prices are far lower than brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:
It is not easy to purchase akoya pearls wholesale from Asia without being there. You really need to meet the sellers and make the selections in person if you don't already have a relationship. A strand of akoya can be worth $50 or $1000 even if the exact same size. Freshwater pearl value is mostly based on size and shape, which is easy to determine. Akoya is nacre thickness, luster and surface. It's much more difficult.

You're right about eBay. Most akoya pearls on eBay are not akoya pearls.

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I was exploring the idea of a small jewelry company that would maybe open a physical store/kiosk and would likely sell freshwater pearl earrings and necklaces but also saltwater pearl jewelry too, if feasible.
While acquiring freshwater pearls seems way easier, the more I look into it, the more I become distrustful even of many of the available online sources.

Freshwater pearls are so widely available that I would think to compete you'd need to distinguish your product in some way, such as creative designs (as opposed to ordinary, plain strands).

Also, from what I have read on here (not being a vendor myself), temporarily-strung FWP sold by wholesalers are typically a smaller size range than advertised. I think you would have to find trusted sources.

As to eBay, the vast majority of pearls are FWP, regardless of how they are listed. And you can't even count on getting the item in the photo.

I agree with PD totally. Have you looked around at how many places actually sell pearls...plain strands and studs are everywhere... I can walk into the tiny drugstore down the road and buy pearl studs. You need to find a point of difference. Jeremy said somewhere that buying pearls is easy and selling them is hard. Anyone can go buy a ton of pearls...getting rid of them..that's another story.

You need to sort out a style ... then sort out the pearls that suit it.

I agree totally with Jeremy on Akoya ( and everything else he says about pearls :) ) I go to Hong Kong and buy as well as here within Australia and I've never bought Akoya. You have to know who you're buying from and a fancy booth doesn't make them good pearls. I don't know the Akoya dealers and don't have enough experience with Akoya to trust my own opinion.

Thanks for your replies. I fully agree that I would need to differentiate somehow.

I managed to get a hold of a seemingly reputable jewelry/pearl dealer based out of Hong Kong who offered the following prices:

Freshwater pearl, 7–7.5mm.

Round shape: US$4.30 per pearl
Drop shape: US$1.20 per pearl
Button shape: US$0.70 per pearl

Akoya pearl, 7–7.5mm:
Round shape: US$10.70 per pearl

Do these sound like fairly standard prices, assuming OK but not spectacular quality? Or is that a rather unrealistically low price for an akoya?

Thanks for your replies. I fully agree that I would need to differentiate somehow.

I managed to get a hold of a seemingly reputable jewelry/pearl dealer based out of Hong Kong who offered the following prices:

Freshwater pearl, 7–7.5mm.

Round shape: US$4.30 per pearl
Drop shape: US$1.20 per pearl
Button shape: US$0.70 per pearl

Akoya pearl, 7–7.5mm:
Round shape: US$10.70 per pearl

Do these sound like fairly standard prices, assuming OK but not spectacular quality? Or is that a rather unrealistically low price for an akoya?

You might as well buy a lottery ticket.

Think about buying akoya pearls like buying a car. 7-7.5 mm is a four door. Someone just offered you a four-door car for a price. You don't know the year, you don't know make, you don't know the model. You don't even know the color.

You may do fine with freshwater because they are so prevalent and inexpensive. You won't buy fine freshwater pearls this way, but you should still make out ok. You won't with akoya.

You might as well buy a lottery ticket.

Think about buying akoya pearls like buying a car. 7-7.5 mm is a four door. Someone just offered you a four-door car for a price. You don't know the year, you don't know make, you don't know the model. You don't even know the color.

You may do fine with freshwater because they are so prevalent and inexpensive. You won't buy fine freshwater pearls this way, but you should still make out ok. You won't with akoya.

Very good advice, from Jeremy and Katbran...

I will add a different perspective: It sounds like maybe you have an idea, and are thinking about starting a business, but aren't really sure of what you want from that business. I highly recommend that you line up all your ducks before you start to even begin purchasing inventory. Develop a business plan: what will you sell; how will it be sold; how will you finance this; do you have the skills required to make this product; will you need production partners...etc. First step is to learn all you can about pearls. There are so many different types, and so many different qualities. Are you looking to make fine jewelry? Costume jewelery? That's all got to be part of your business plan. I also highly recommend finding a mentor who will be willing to review your business plan and offer advice as you try to develop your business. It takes a lot of time and capital to develop a jewelry line.

Back