Advice on stringing some gemstone beads, please?

My suggestion on knotting would be 80# test Power Pro. A lot of gemstone beads, and also swarovskie pearls have .8mm to 1.0 mm holes. Reaming is not an option. Put a needle down about 12 inches, pull doubled line through with needle . Then knot the single line. On really large holes (1mm) you might be able to use it doubled.

Lloyd, Gemologist GIA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LloydsJewelry

Thanks, all! LD I was actually thinking something along those lines. Pulling a needle through the holes might scratch them and I don't want to do that, so I was thinking of threading the beads with a needle, then removing the needle, poking the thread through, then using a small hook to pull it back through. That way the twisted beading needle won't scratch the circles as I pull the thread through.

I have power pro and fireline and am trying to decide which to use. I think fireline has a slightly nicer drape, and power pro is stiff, but PP knots hold a bit better for me without slipping. The bead holes are on the bigger side (these are 4mm beads), they feel like around 1.5mm. Definitely larger than pearl drill holes.

Thanks, all! LD I was actually thinking something along those lines. Pulling a needle through the holes might scratch them and I don't want to do that, so I was thinking of threading the beads with a needle, then removing the needle, poking the thread through, then using a small hook to pull it back through. That way the twisted beading needle won't scratch the circles as I pull the thread through. ....

Like using a needle threader? The kind sold at all sewing notions counters.

You got me thinking on how to thread the pearls too!

What if you took strands of thread and tied them to the tassel rings first before stringing any pearls on them? Say you cut 10 strands of 20 inches of thread. Each strand goes into one ring of the tassel and comes out on another side. Center the string and tie a knot to keep it in place. Do this for all ten threads. Then you'll have 20 ends, each 10 inches long. So it will look like a tassel with no pearls. Then string the most inner thread with pearls, working from the inside out. When you get to the last pearl, tie a knot where the thread enters the first hole, so it makes a loop. Then restring the next pearl and knot at the hole. Basically, you are knotting upwards after stringing the pearls. when you get to the last pearl, you can clip the thread and glue. Then start on the next inner thread. I'm sure you can use gimp if you think you can get it up in the ring holes to add protection to the thread. I hope my explanation makes sense. I will see if I can create a drawing for you.

Forgive my artistic abilities. The blue line is supposed to be one piece of thread. You center it and tie it between two rings and work each end separately. Thread each pearl and tie the knots as you rethread each pearl going upwards. Hopefully, you'll get the point. IMG_20170629_133104.jpg

amti, your rendition is much better than mine was...my daughter told me my drawing looked like a noose. On this one, you are stringing and knotting each tassel strand separately, correct? Would you use bead glue to secure? or a zapper and glue?

Thanks for all the tips, friends! amti, I like that idea - then I won't be so nervous about a continuous thread. I always glue my knots, so hopefully that'll do the trick. I also have some 2mm spinel beads that I can use at the end of each tassel strand, in case the 4mm beads are too bulky when turned sideways (I don't want the thread to show much).

OOops, just seeing this thread now. Sorry.... The blue thread is actually one piece. The center of the thread is knotted at the base of the tassel and so you'll have two dangles from each thread (because it is knotted at the base and both ends will have beads/pearls). You can knot all the threads onto the base before adding any beads/pearls this way and not have to worry about getting those last minute hard-to-reach holes to knot the thread with bulky beads/pearls in the way.

JP, I'd just glue the knots and cut the thread close to the bead/pearl. I don't have a zapper, but I imagine it would make it much easier if you could get the zapper tip in there without too much effort.

FWIW, I have not made any tassels, so please proceed with caution! I do have intentions of making them, but I just haven't had the time.

Back