Advice on Mikimototo Clasp

I turned him into ebay and wrote to Mikmoto and sent them the auction. I then wrote them and told them what I had done... So he changed them from New to used huh?

The stringing is odd, too. I realise it's a 3 strand clasp on a 2 strand necklace, but if you look at the clasp photo, on one side of the clasp the top string has 2 clasp hooks attached, and on the other side, the bottom strand does. Not even matching.

Are they blue-grey akoyas?

I am not sure. They are lackluster and have quite a few protrusions, maybe just plain commercial grade, whatever they are.

The stringing is odd, too. I realise it's a 3 strand clasp on a 2 strand necklace, but if you look at the clasp photo, on one side of the clasp the top string has 2 clasp hooks attached, and on the other side, the bottom strand does. Not even matching.

Are they blue-grey akoyas?

Possibly, but how many baroque blue grey akoya strands are out there? IMHO dyed freshwaters.

This is the same kind of "synthetic" jewelry that you can find by the truck load on etsy and other craftworker sites, where people rework authentic findings (jewelry components) into new jewelry.

No one is going to be fooled by this, as mikimoto doesn't sell anything this low quality, not even in their lower end Sea Magic or Blue Lagoon programs.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with, say, old clasp and new pearls, so long as it's really clear to everyone that's what it is. So, for example, an ebay listing which said:

"This necklace is made from modern, 6mm AA grade round Akoya pearls with a Victorian 9-carat gold clasp"

would be fine with me.

Back