Abalone Pearls ? Can They Be Legally Bought and Sold?

Cyril Roger Brossard

I am not sure if this article was already mentioned here.
A bit old now but of some juridical interest.
Link to article.
Posted on June 2011.

pearl_world-record-20111.jpg
An unusually large red abalone pearl taken by Peter Truong of Elk Grove, CA from Mendocino County in 2010. This pearl was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records earlier this year as the largest natural abalone pearl ever recorded! (Photo by Carrie Wilson)

Question: I saw an abalone pearl for sale on Craig?s List. Is this legal? I always thought no part of the abalone may be bought, sold, traded or bartered when taken under a California sportfishing license. What does the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) and California law say regarding abalone pearls? My understanding is the pearl is not part of the mollusk but instead a foreign object that got stuck in the gonad or between the shell and the meat. Any help would be much appreciated. (Matt M.)

Answer
: You are correct. Unless the abalone was taken by licensed California commercial divers prior to the 1997 commercial abalone fishing ban, or purchased from a commercial abalone aquaculture operation, then it is a violation to sell the shell or any other part of the abalone. It is legal to import the pearls for sale if they comply with the commercial fish laws regarding importation. Therefore, it would be incumbent for the jeweler/individual offering the pearl for sale to have documentation that they obtained the pearl legally.

I posted this as I was recently asked about abalone pearls.

Back