Abalone Formations/Pearls

A

ab hunter

Hello,

My buddy recently found this on the northcoast of california in a abalone.
Weight is 23.5 grams, measurements are 2 x 1 x .05.
Let me know what you all think. It is a great find.

dy5c06.jpg

dy5c44.jpg

Hi ab hunter

well you are norcal, so I'll say this. Last night I was dreaming about abalone shells and beads and in my dream decided to find some online, since I live in the desert.

That is a great pearl. Please let us know what you - or buddy - decides to do with it.

How much would a pearl like that fetch? Or what should it insure for? It seems enormous!

Thanks for the comments. My freind is looking to sell it.
Please send me a PM on how to make contact or any advice you may have.

We are still in the estimating stage of any deals.
I appreciate any and all offers of help or other info.

Cheers,
Duane

Abalone Formations/Pearls

Hello All,
I recently came across a costal beach in NZ which has environmental conditions different to most other locations I know of. Based on something I was looking into I started to examine the local Abalone and now am hoping for some advice on what I found there.
A number of the shells seem to have an exaggerated thickness, sometimes up to 2cm. Upon breaking these shells up there seem to be many small deposits which feel and look exactly like the small pearls which are usually located in the flesh of the Abalone.
I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen this type of growth and perhaps if you knew what sorts of conditions could cause these changes? I did read that the "Sabellid worm" can cause the Abalone shell to become brittle, but I'm not sure if this is the case and if so, could it by limited to one bay?

Thanks for your time and advice. I have attached a couple of basic images below for viewing.

http://static.flickr.com/48/178010609_85b0a8ce08.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/48/178009751_c5161063c0.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/57/178009747_860081ad83.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/70/178009753_2346631b51.jpg?v=0

Hi Mr. Hill,

What you have there is a classic case of blister pearl formation in haliotis iris. These are the result of parasitic infestation of the mantle tissue and thus they are in all likelihood solid rather than hollow as most abalone pearls are wont to be. I'd love to see a sample in person. Are you perchance anwhere near Christchurch? I have seen several blister pearls just like that from people doing their abalone fishing out of the Christchurch area.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mister.Hill
I am an abalone freak and I love your abalone formations.
What do you plan to do with those? Is there any way I could get one?

Thank you

Thank you

Hello again,

Zeide, thank you so much for your reply and information. It certainly helps to understand these formations a bit better. I'm currently located in Wellington, which is one of two main islands on NZ. Christchurch is located on the other. I haven't herd or been able to find any other information on similar finds anywhere locally.
I'd be more than happy to show you a sample if I can get one through to you. Where are you located? Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

Caitlin,

I completely understand how you could become hooked on Abalone! They?re always so unique and colourful. Ultimately we were hoping to sell some of them to be used in some sort of creative way. Not sure what, but there always seems to be some curiosity from jewelers and the like.

If you want to ask any questions or discuss them further please let me know and I?d love to help you out.

Thanks again for all your time and help and I look forward to talking to you soon.

Best regards

Dear Bruno,

Although your pictures look like they may be of fossilized blister pearls, I see no indication of them being from abalone. The also do not appear to be still nacreous and as such should be classified as fossilised shell pieces not fossil pearls.

Zeide

Dear Bruno,

They are scientifically speaking pearls. However, if you try to sell them, their primary market will be the fossil market not the pearl market. I admit, I liked your cabochon cuts of other fossil pearls but they are no longer of ornamental value as pearls but rather as cut gemstones from fossilised shell. I am sure there are plenty of people interested in your beautiful cabochons, but as that - cabochons - not pearls.

Zeide

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

Hello All,

Just to keep everyone informed, the larger pearl that I posted a photo for in my first post had yet to be cleaned and as you may have noticed had a bit of a brown buildup on the outer coating.

I have attached another photo just to show people the beauty hidden beneath... sorry if the background is a bit hard to look at. I'll get some more photos done once the cleaning has finished.

http://static.flickr.com/74/178009748_507d7ae51c.jpg?v=0

What to do with them all

What to do with them all

Hi all, I hope you are all well. I had some great feedback about the earlier finds and some very helpful information as well. Thanks for everything.

There are a couple of people I have still to get back to and I apologise for taking so long. Things have been pretty hectic and i'm just trying to get on top of things.

Just as an update, I have extracted quite a few more of these pearls and am building up a pretty good collection. They are coming in all differnt sizes, shapes and cololurs and are looking pretty spectacular.

I've been experimenting with various methods of extracting the pearls and also for cleaning them, with mixed results. But at this stage I think I'm heading down the right track.

I just wondered if anyone knew if these types of pearls could be sold to small jewellers as they would look great in unique individual pieces?

The main reason I ask is I was unsure how I would get them certified and valued. Being of small size and having quite a few I wondered if I get charged a fee for each pearl (which could add up to a lot more than they are worth) or if they might charge on time.

This might be the wrong place to be asking, but maybe someone has had a similar experience with small pearls?

Thanks again for all your time and advice. Hopefully I will also have a collection photographed so I can show you my progress.

Kind regards

Back