AAA or Freshadama

Nugchompa

I am in the market for picking up a second pearl strand during these cyber-week sales (ordered first one from Pearl Source, but not sure what to expect after finding this forum). Does anyone have a photo of a AAA lavender strand next to a Freshadama/Gem lavender strand? I'm also interested in same for a pink strand.

Regarding color. I notice the pink strands tend to have more of a peach color whereas a lot of the lavender strands seem to appear more of a pink color. My wife hates pink and loves purple. I feel like I can either hit a home run or a total miss depending on what shade of lavender I might end up with. Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't have photos for you but you can ask vendors for side by side photos of pearls of different grades.

You can also ask for photos of several lavender strands that tend more toward purple. Some lavenders are warmer toned than others.

Also, lavender is not the same as purple. I have seen photos of Edison strands (large, high grade bead-nucleated fwp) that are more nearly purple but these are few and far between (not to mention expensive!)

Last edited:
I would probably avoid the pink strands then. Ask for photos of any purple or dark lavender next to a white strand. Keeping in mind that photos can appear a bit darker than the pearls in real life. Ask for outside sunlight as well as indoors. Some lavenders have a poor colour that can show a bit tan/beige. You want to avoid that.

I'm awaiting a lavender gem grade 9.5-10mm opera length strand. I too was wondering why Freshadama strands are twice the price of gem/elite/aaaa from other vendors. Are they that much more lustrous or rounder to warrant the price? I'm also currently in the market for a white freshwater opera length. A shorter strand of aaaa freshwater from TPS I purchased were nice but a bit potato shaped, and I'd like something rounder.

Just a word of advice on comparisons between vendors: There is no uniform grading system for cultured pearls. Each vendor will categorize their pearls differently so it really is like comparing apples to oranges. If Pearl Paradise has a gem grade pearl, you can rest assured that it really is spectacular. My understanding of their grading is that Freshadama is their top quality freshwater grade...someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

I found some bargain (costume) jewelry with similar colors to the lavender and pink pearls, and I showed my wife to see which she preferred. She probably thinks she is getting something off a bargain rack, but it appears she likes the pink/peach color more than the lavender. She does have dark skin. I guess now it would be nice to see the difference between AAA/Elite or AAA/Freshadama. Do any other companies make necklace strands out of the highest quality earring and pendant pearls?

I ended up picking a lavender AAA from Pearl Paradise. I really hope it has rich color.

I recently bought a 16 inch hank of AAA freshwater pearls because I am going to match up with other pearls/gems and knot one or more strands. The color is definitely quite peach,not pink, and very warm and lovely. Pearl surface of AAA is vitually eye clean and luster is very good, not as brilliant of course as freshadama or metallic. I found some fantastic freshwater keshis at MerryPearl on Esty which match fabulously and whenever I finish fooling around with a design, I'll photo finished product for all to see. Bottom line, the PP pink/peach AAA pearls are quite lovely.

Lavender is extremely tricky. They can have tones of blue, or pink, and even brown! Deep lavender is a rarity. I happened to take a shot of my lavenders for another thread. You can see my jumble of a triple strand in AAA seems pink in comparison to my newest, deepest single lavender strand.

PP has excellent customer service and certainly return it if you're not thrilled. But also, live with it a few days before returning! I often change my feelings as I see pieces over a few days in varying lights.

View attachment 63616

11-26-18 1.jpg

11-27-18 1.jpg

View attachment 63619

I was hoping for some color in between your top and middle strand. Probably closer to middle, but I think something a little lighter would look nice. I fear she may call the top one pink. I personally find both lovely.

Thank you for the photos. They really illustrate how broad the range can be (and even broader by the sound of it).

I just got my first order in from The Pearl Source. I sure hope my wife’s neck is a lot smaller than mine because 18” is a tight choker when I hold it to my neck.

I finally got both orders in after some USPS delays. I honestly am surprised by how pale the lavenders are. They looked slightly off-white until I held them up to the other pearls. After seeing multiple strands of lavenders, I feel they really are some of the lightest I’ve come across.

Should I even try for another strand or just assume this is a typical lavender?

48199391_125927801745346_3471420206188855296_n.jpg

Last edited:
There's a broad range of color in colored pearls. If you don't like this strand, try another. But tell the vendor what you're looking for, so they can send you photos or tell you if they even have what you want.

I did describe what I was looking for which makes me a little more purplexed. Since it was meant to be a Christmas gift, I think my only option is to keep them or send them back and get something else entirely that can arrive before Christmas. I guess buying during a busy time of year Is not ideal if you have a request. I feel like I’ve brought down the positive vibe with my last couple posts. Sorry everyone.

Don't worry about the vibe! It's more important to get something you actually want.

Back