$4781 or $1665 for the same product????

S

Steve in Arizona

How is it possible for essentially the same product offered by two companies on the web to differ in price by $3116.00? I am specifically referring to 51? ?Mystery Clasp? strands of 7.5mm AAA Akoyas offer by two of the most well known companies on the web with prices of $4781.00 and $1665.00. I find it hard to believe that one company is offering AAA quality and the other is offering less than or greater than AAA quality. It is also hard to believe one company?s overhead is so much lower they can sell for so much less. Does anyone know how this is possible?

In order do do this clasp with Akoya it is imperative to use a higher-end strand. If the nacre is not thick enough it will crack.
The pricing definitely sounds doable for a "top of the line" strand. One price would be a good retail price, the other would be more in line with wholesale. Even if the high-priced offering was using a certified Hanadama 7.5 the would have a good margin on a 51-inch strand at more than $1700 per strand.
I think it is more a matter of margins than overhead, although there may be some difference in quality. But if they are making invisible strand necklaces they definitely know what they are doing - not easy!

That is one hell of a margin for a website offering wholesale prices

That is one hell of a margin for a website offering wholesale prices

The website claims to sell for less than retail/wholesale prices. Their other products are only slightly more expensive than other sites. The 51 mystery clasp strand is the only thing I have found to be wildly out of the norm. So how is it possible for them to sell any of these if it is so easy to buy them cheaper from someone else. Do they have some special undescribed manufacturing technique that makes their strand superior to their only competitor? Why is it that your company and other do not make these stands?

The trick is the invisible setting. It is very difficult to do, and with Akoya requires a lot of patience. I personally do not have the time, even though we have 3 pearl drills (two single and one dual-sided) in our office.
I have tried in the past with some success, but have never really mastered it. It has not really mattered as there is not a huge demand for it. I know of one shop that does it in the city (jewelry district Los Angeles) and most of the downtown companies send their requests there. They have been doing those clasps for years - but they charge a bit for it. I typically will only do this with high-end South Sea and Tahitians to make it worth while.

If you do go with the more expensive Site I would ask for a certified Hanadama strand to be used in that price range.

Back