2mm Bead-Nucleated Akoyas

P

perlas

Yesterday I saw some 2mm small akoyas. I thought they were Akoya seed pearls of pure nacre but upon closer inspection, I saw one with chipped of nacre and a bead was exposed! Imagine this in 2mm pearls!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

The tiny pearls were also pinked. Mostly are round to off-round.

Anyone ever seen such small beaded akoyas? The seller informed this was from an old stock during 1990s.

Hi Sam,

Yes I have seen these before. They are probably the world's greatest waste of money and were grown in Korea and China on commission for Japanese factories. Up until the early 1970s such small pearls that typically found their use in end pearls of graduated strands and accents in rings and brooches were typically keshis without nucleus. However when culturing times went down drastically, the keshis were too small to use for that and the factories commissioned the lowest-wage countries available to nucleate micropearls.

Zeide

Apparently, these very small Akoya pearls are very popular in Japan.

I see this size in Freshwaters in American designer jewelry everywhere right now. I love Elizabeth Showers' jewelry and she has used this size Freshwater in some of her pieces. She has some amazing pieces!http://www.elizabethshowersvintage.com/

Back