10K Gold and What Kind of Pearls?

MotherOfPearlTrumpet

I purchased this necklace. It is about 17" around the neck plus the dangle length. The part that the 10K gold chains are threaded through is also 10K and the little diamonds also tested authentic. What kind of pearls are these? I think they were intended to be SS White/SS Golden and Tahitian but with their shape and too excellent coloring I'm guessing they may be dyed FW. Any thoughts? They are gritty to the teeth, so they are at least true pearls. I welcome your opinions. The largest pearl is about 8.5mm (off-round dark) and 9mm (off-round white) the smallest golden is 5.5mm.
IMG_1985[1].JPG
IMG_1986[1].JPG

Last edited:
Given the size, luster, diamonds and 10K gold, I'm thinking off-round akoyas, the dark and golden ones dyed.

Given the size, luster, diamonds and 10K gold, I'm thinking off-round akoyas, the dark and golden ones dyed.
I tend to agree with you; given the size and luster, Akoya makes the most sense. I just always thought Akoya pearls were more round?
For the darker pearls, given the coloring and markings, I'm assuming that these, if they are Akoya's, are also dyed?
I wasn't aware that Akoya's could be dyed yellow like this?

Akoyas are not all round. Every harvest will have some pearls that are off round, semi-baroque or fully baroque.

Akoyas can be dyed yellow or black, or even blueish.

Akoyas are not all round. Every harvest will have some pearls that are off round, semi-baroque or fully baroque.

Akoyas can be dyed yellow or black, or even blueish.
I read someplace that the bluish ones were impurities that were introduced when the nucleus was inserted. I guess those are a different kind of blue than the ones that are dyed. Correct? I have a strand of those that I believe are not dyed, but have a bluish/purplish hue to the silvery pearls. I'll post those separately to get opinions of whether they are natural or dyed.

Yes, akoyas can have a naturally silvery / blue color. It happens if there is an injury when the necleus is inserted into the gonad, resulting in the oyster's secreting a dark liquid substance. Through the layers of nacre it appears blue. But if the nacre is especially thin it can look brownish instead.

However I once had a strand of blueish akoyas that had been dyed. There were accumulations of dye visible near the drill hole.

The blacks look like dyed freshwater to me. The whites have a freshwater shape and South Sea-like luster, but based on the blacks I'd assume they are also freshwater. The golds have the color of gold akoya, but the shape is more of a freshwater. They don't have the bulbous tails.

Yes, akoyas can have a naturally silvery / blue color. It happens if there is an injury when the necleus is inserted into the gonad, resulting in the oyster's secreting a dark liquid substance. Through the layers of nacre it appears blue. But if the nacre is especially thin it can look brownish instead.

However I once had a strand of blueish akoyas that had been dyed. There were accumulations of dye visible near the drill hole.
I’ve seen dyed silver/blue Akoya with color very very much like natural silver/blue Akoya.

I've seen plenty of dyed gold akoya. They are 'too' gold. Like the gold of good South Sea pearls. Same with blues. Real natural colours in akoya are generally very gentle

Back