0.8mm nacre thickness

RebeccaP

Hello,
I know the law for the nacre thickness of Tahitian pearls was scrapped in 2016, but was then the law was reverted back. Do anyone have any sources or articles regarding this? Been trying to google with no luck .

It may be difficult to find this information, but when you know people "in the know", well embedded in the Industry, you hear about these things. I believe the first one to tell me about this was jshepherd
I will look for a source, but I believe he may be able to shed some light into this matter :01:

Thank you very much for your help Douglas!

It gives me a little comfort that it's not just because I haven't been googling around correctly. I tried searching for Ministere de la Perliculture of Tahiti and GIE Perles de Tahiti with no luck.. doesn't help that I don't speak french.

The law hasn't been reinstated. It was an outdated law that went into effect when the market was high and mass production lead to short culturing times and potential problems. It's been scrapped for quite a few years now.

Tahitian pearl exporters can voluntarily have their pearls x-rayed now, for the price of 100xpf (70p GBP/ 95c USD) per pearl, but it is not compulsory. Exporters must still take their pearls to the govt export office where their export documents detailing symmetric, asymmetric baroque and circlés, and how many pearls in each category are grade A B C and D in each size are scrutinised.
Plus quantity and quality for each shape and size.
Inspection is now a matter of checking the paperwork and counting pearls in each category. Once this is done a permit is issued and the pearls go to the customs office for payment of export tax..then off they go!
I'm exhausted just writing this!
But no compulsory x ray.

Thank you both for the update jshepherd and pearlescence :You_Rock_Emoticon:
I have been unable to find anything on the matter...at least in the way of an update.

Wow, thank you so much. Do you know if there is a website or something where I can read about all the rules regarding exporting cultured pearls from Tahiti?

I think it's good the law changed regarding the x-ray as it seemed a waste that so many pearls were destroyed, and there must be a market for slightly lower quality pearls.
Only problem is if something is sold as something they are not.. but you will always have that with or without the law.

The whole point is that there aren't any rules apart from paperwork and counting.What is it you want to know?

Thanks Jeremy! I was looking for this info and even reached out to some Tahitian friends (Josh included) but I could not find this information. Really helpful!

Back