Shopped in Bejiing.....now what do I have?

pearlrookie

I am new to pearls....have never bought pearls and had no intention of buying pearls when I recently went to China. One of the folks I went with is all about pearls. When we landed in Bejiing, he made a bee-line for the Silk Market where he bought strands and strands of pearls from the shop with the card I attached. Figuring I better just do what this guy did I had him help me buy a necklace for my wife.
It is a three strand necklace, 24, 25, and 26 inches with the 2 strand 8 inch bracelet.
I don't know what I have here and I am wondering if I can get any information about these pearls. They are black and white with the silver charm flower.
The person I was with inspected each pearl with a loop and the merchant kept swapping out pearls he rejected. Then they hand strung them right there.
Are these worth anything? I think I paid $300 US for the necklace and bracelet.
My wife loves it....so if I got screwed, it doesnt matter - but I would like to know something about these pearls.

If anyone has any intel - I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Eidson and Mings
    Eidson and Mings
    24.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Pearls Close.jpg
    Pearls Close.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Pearl Overview.jpg
    Pearl Overview.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 33
Welcome, Pearlrookie,

A successful purchase indeed, if the wife loves her pearls, a necklace designed just for her! These are cultured freshwater pearls, with the black ones being dyed. The luster seems very good and the pearls look round to the eye. Pearls like this are all nacre (no bead inside with thin nacre covering) which makes them very wearable. If my math is correct, it took about 6 strands of pearls to make up this set. It was good of your friend to help sort out the more blemished pearls (there are usually are some on every strand). I doubt you could find a similar set here in a jewelry store for $300, so don't feel you got screwed. Bet your wife gets lots of compliments and has a delightful story to tell of her hubby having it made for her.

Welcome, Pearlrookie,

A successful purchase indeed, if the wife loves her pearls, a necklace designed just for her! These are cultured freshwater pearls, with the black ones being dyed. The luster seems very good and the pearls look round to the eye. Pearls like this are all nacre (no bead inside with thin nacre covering) which makes them very wearable. If my math is correct, it took about 6 strands of pearls to make up this set. It was good of your friend to help sort out the more blemished pearls (there are usually are some on every strand). I doubt you could find a similar set here in a jewelry store for $300, so don't feel you got screwed. Bet your wife gets lots of compliments and has a delightful story to tell of her hubby having it made for her.

Thanks Pattye. Any idea what they may be worth? Did I overpay? Going back to Bejiing next year and want to go better educated.

Sounds like you had a good, experienced guide, to inspect each pearl and replace as needed! And your wife loves it ... success and congratulations!

Back