What is this stamp on pearl necklace?

Jeanne J

I've recently inherited a lovely pearl necklace as part of an estate and would like to know more about its age and origin. The clasp is stamped with "14K 585" along with a symbol I don't recognize. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• halmark.jpg
    halmark.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 95
It is the trademark for the clasp manufacturer. It will not tell much by itself. :)

It is the trademark for the clasp manufacturer. It will not tell much by itself. :)

Oh that's too bad! I guess I can still enjoy the pearls. Here are a couple of shots of the necklace...they're a soft champagne color; a few blemishes but really nice luster (in my opinion anyway :p)

1.jpg

6.jpg

Jeanne,

Pearls as round as yours are cultured; they have a mother of pearl bead inside. Most likely akoya (saltwater) pearls, as freshwater pearls are not usually that round and smooth, though some are now being nucleated with a bead.

What size are your pearls? About 8mm? As the others have mentioned, they have excellent luster and the perfect size to wear often.

Jeanne,

Pearls as round as yours are cultured; they have a mother of pearl bead inside. Most likely akoya (saltwater) pearls, as freshwater pearls are not usually that round and smooth, though some are now being nucleated with a bead.

What size are your pearls? About 8mm? As the others have mentioned, they have excellent luster and the perfect size to wear often.

They're about 7.5mm. :)

Back