Grandma's Pearls - Need any information!

NrsSteph

DSC02318.JPG

These are flapper pearls from the 1920's that have been restrung a few times with a hand carved mother of pearl enhancer, that is removable. They are 100" long and absolutely beautiful.

Jewelry 003.jpg Jewelry 001.JPG

The second picture is a picture of a single strand of pearls that were my grandma's pearls with a 14K and diamond clasp. The pearls are pretty well matched and the luster is great! They are not perfectly round, but very nice.

Any information is appreciated!

First piece appears to be a Chinese freshwater potato strand that does not appear to have knots. That's dangerous for a long strand. It isn't from the 1920s, it's much more recent. I can't make much out from the second strand but the first photo with the clasp shows another freshwater.

Jeremy- The first strand that you said may be a potato strand, doesn't that mean the surface is pitted and irregular? These are not that way, they are kind of oblong shaped though. So is it worth paying to have the strand restrung then with knots? Can you explain more on the danger to it not having them?

Potato refers to the shape of the pearl. Potato is the most common shape of freshwater pearl grown in China. So the oblong shapes you are seeing are potato.

I would definitely recommend getting them knotted before wearing them because a long strand can break very easily and if a 100-inch strand snapped ... well, that wouldn't be good :)

When a strand of pearls is not knotted in between the pearls, if the string breaks, the pearls will just slide down the string towards the opened ends and fall onto the ground.

Notable examples that come to mind in films for great dramatic effect of pearls tumbling onto the ground are Witches of Eastwick, the new version Omen starring Julia Stiles, and Blades of Glory.

Knotting in between pearls would prevent losing too many pearls should the string break for whatever reason.

DK :)

Back