Are these faux pearls?

CharmedOne

I bought this stand at a resale shop for $18. They are really dirty and the thread is really stretched. They measure 42 inches and the clasp is marked 14K, but they are in pretty rough shape one pearl is so damaged that you can see inside it. There is a big chunk missing and you can see a white ball inside. It's a rainy day here so my photos are not so good. I tried to take several photos of the really damaged pearl and the ones posted are the best I could get today. I am very interested in cleaning them and attempting to restringing them if they are real. Can I use Johnson and Johnson's baby soap to clean them? Thank you so much with any help you can give me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 27
A sharper close-up photo would help, but they look like they might be akoya pearls that have a thin coating of nacre that is wearing away in spots. Some growers were so hot to get them to market, that they didn't let them acquire enough nacre to hold up to ordinary wear. You can wash them gently with diluted liquid hand soap and lay on a towel to dry, but the damage is not really reversible. They still look wearable, so give it a try. We have threads on how to knot pearls, if you are game. :)

Oh, yes Johnson & Johnson baby soap is fine.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Welcome
When cleaning the put the plug in the drain hole (just in case and lather up your hands, then take the pearls and rub them around your palms like you were hand washing a very delicate item of lingerie. Then rinse off your hands and rinse the pearls several times (remember the plug)
Then dry, first on a towel and then with paper towel. You don't need to worry about drying the silk quickly as it is going. Keep the strand intact as long as you can to keep the pearls in size order (if most of the damaged ones are on one side you will have to move some over to keep the balance)
Hope this helps

Thank you so much for much for all your help. I will wash them and see how they turn out. This forum is so helpful. I am huge fan of pearls and the knowledge learned here has really helped me. Thanks so much again. ~d

Pattye is right - you got a great deal on your pearls. The thing that counts most is that they are pretty, and after a little sprucing up, you'll enjoy wearing them. :)

Thank you, GemGeek! I cleaned them and they are drying as I type. I think I will wait until I attempt to restring them to wear them because the thread is pretty stretched and I think it may break. They turned out better than I thought. Thank you all so much again for all your help. I'll be back with more questions soon, I'm sure of that. :D

Back