Need help re Pearl purchase

KurtisJBlue

Hi
Not sure if its considered bad form for a new poster asking for advice, but it would be greatly appreciated.

Purchased the necklace below at a reputable London department store, they are preowned, and i quite like them, but the more research I do the more I am confused re value.

They were sold as not freshwater, they are quite golden very mother of pearl compared to the new white ones they had in stock and a quite clearly ridged and semi baroque.

Looking at others for sale on line I can see values between around ?65.00 to over ?1000.

Any help or assistance greatly appreciated.

Dark Boxed 2Dark PPDark 173

You appear to have a strand of vintage, baroque akoya pearls.

Thanks for that.

Well I paid ?285 / $460 does that seem fair?

Its a surprising complex (and interesting) market and certainly like to know that I have been treated fairly.

Because they are vintage, chances are the nacre is quite thick. I think you did fine. White baroque akoya with that tail shape are very inexpensive these days, but the nacre is a lot thinner and they are prone to cracking. If you are going to go with white baroques, that's the way to go.

It is not the best price, BUT you were paying retail. For a retail price, you were not cheated. Enjoy them, they're very interesting compared to a lot of akoyas.

They have nice luster.

You may wish to consider restringing them with a yellow metal clasp-- it would go better, color-wise.

Thats great, thanks guys I feel a little more at ease with my unresearched purchase.

I have kept the receipt so if they are not to the recipients liking at least I will be better informed buying the replacements.

Cheers again.

Back