No announcement yet.

Color enhanced GSSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at Goldsmith's Hall in London yesterday (just to place drop!) and there was on display a gorgeous gold necklace made with blobby end caps on very pale GSS. They were cack pearls. Beautiful gold design and crafting but the pearls - I wouldn't have paid $100 in HK for them!. No pix allowed before you ask but I was tempted to tuck a card into the display case.
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Originally posted by pattye View Post
      Melody, Welcome!

Yes, more photos please. On a white paper towel would be best. It's very difficult to evaluate the color against the bluish background, as the pearls can reflect the color. You look like a professional model in your photo, so pretty!

I'd certainly trust that pearls from Tahitian.biz are not dyed, also pearls from Pearl Paradise like this

Thanks Patty,

I decide to order the one from your link. I don't mind they are not been round as long as they are about the same shape.

Comment

Originally posted by KarinK View Post
        Hi Melody,

I'm guessing the advice not to buy GSSP under 10 mm is that the risk of getting dyed freshwater pearls used to be greater and FWP are sold in many places as baby-SSP.

That being said I have a pair of 9 mm SSP that are definitely real as I bought them directly from Sven here on the forum. Plus these days FWP are getting bigger so I don't think that distinction is valid anymore.

It must be very tempting to keep both strands!

- Karin
        Thanks for the comment.
        The reason not to buy smaller pearls I heard is that pearls may not have enough thickness of nacre to last a few years. Do you know how big the size of implanted bead?

Comment

I've seen some 8mm and 9mm SSs. petite and pretty. Thickness of nacre is not related to size of bead but to how long the bead is left in the shell.
          Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
          www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Working...
          X