Paspaley Pearls harvest

I had a quick look and found in 2015 that the March Paspaley auction generated US $ 8.54 million. 517 lots were offered and 359 lots were sold. The auction generated 9% sales growth.

Paspaley Pearls harvest

Rodlewin, welcome to Pearl-Guide! That is a bold question; it seems like that would be a closely guarded information?

Hi Pattye:

Indeed it is! I have written to Paspaley directly, but have not yet received an answer. The reason I ask is that I am writing an aviation novel (the 4th in a series), in which a harvest is stolen and my hero/pilot, who flies his own amphibian, is given the task of trying to locate and recover the haul. I know a little about the security of a pearl harvest, because I once flew for a smaller pearl company (Broome Pearls) in the northwest of Australia, and had the dubious privilege of flying the harvest from the mother ship to the airport (where I was met by an armored truck). Paspaley, as you probably know, is the largest pearling company in Australia, and uses a fleet of amphibious flying boats to transport their crews and supplies to and from the isolated areas in the far northwest where the pearls are grown. They also use the flying boats to transport their harvests to market in Darwin.

I had a quick look and found in 2015 that the March Paspaley auction generated US $ 8.54 million. 517 lots were offered and 359 lots were sold. The auction generated 9% sales growth.

I wonder what they do with the unsold lots. Keep and offer at another auction?

Rodlewin,

Interesting! A book like you're writing would certainly appeal to some of our forum members, me for one. I hope you do receive a reply from Paspaley. I'd also be curious about the percentage of yearly harvest that is retained to be sold under their label/at their stores.

It does sound like an interesting book, please keep us posted.

Regarding the Paspaley value, I'm sure it escalates dramatically once gold and diamonds are added.

Back