Help, please, need to choose earring setting for GSS drops

KaySD

I am having an earring setting dilemma, and could use some help. I have 2 fully drilled dark GSS roundish oval drop pearls that are just under 11 mm in diameter. I plan to wear them with my GSS strand and a GSS and multicolor Tahitian and black spinel Gellner-style tin cup that I am having made. I need something that will work with both suits and more casual outfits.

I want something that dangles a bit and has movement, with diamonds to set off the golden pearls. I haven’t seen a setting for sale that I love for this project, so I am looking at creating something out of available findings. I have two 0.22 ct (3.8 mm) round diamonds I can recycle from a ring for this project.

Here are a few ideas I have come up with based on findings from Gempacked and inspiration pics. (Please forgive my terrible photoshopping skills.)

1. Set the 2 diamonds as studs with thin DBTY style YG bezels, then create detachable drop jackets for the pearls. I found cool double roundels at GP that look good on top of the pearls as a “cap.” This option would allow the diamond studs to be worn alone or with other drops.

DBTY studs.jpgIMG_20160226_125009290.jpgJacket mock up 2.jpg

2.a. Use satin YG leverbacks, with diamond in YG bezel between leverback and pearl.

4 mm matte YG leverbacks (GP).jpg

Attachments

• Leverback mockup 1.jpg
    Leverback mockup 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 36
2.b. Use satin YG leverbacks, with diamond in WG prongs between leverback and pearl.

Leverback mockup 2.jpg

3. Pave diamond leverback with pearl dangling directly below.

wide diamond huggie leverback (GP).jpg

What do you think will look best?

All great ideas but I prefer lever backs if you're planning on wearing it together with pearl strands. I vote for 2a or 3. Maybe more towards 3 because I like more sparkles.

I like 2a or 2b.

While I'm all for more sparkle, I don't like the itty bitty pave diamonds they put in earrings. I don't think they have enough sparkle to be worth the cost. I'd rather put my diamond money into a bigger single diamond.

i think 2b is the most balanced. Each element shines on it's own, yet harmonious together. Quite lovely :)

First of all...I'm impressed with your photoshopping skills....because I can't do it AT ALL!

I think it's good to think about how often you want to be wearing these and how you normally dress.

I think that either 2a or 2b would be great and you could use them for dressy fancy pants evenings or just wear them during the day. I like the round bezel but am trying to think whether the three shades of gold would be an issue.. I'd certainly match the bezel gold to the pearl colour.

I love the diamond ones..but depending on lifestyle... you might only be using those for 'black tie' things .

Lovely pearls ! The earrings will be gorgeous no matter which way you go..they are all great settings!

Kay! These are the pearls from the strand we split isn't it? So effectively the finished products will be sibs to my Emily Thorne! :D

No one is giving #1 any love lol, I actually quite like it though. I like that you can pair the diamond stud with many other pearl jackets, and I like the diamond rondel you found to sit on top of the GSSP. The only thing I would take a closer look at is the length of the chain - if it is a bit too long, it will make the design look off balanced.

Aside from that, 2b is my other favorite design! And to be honest I think any of the above design options will go well with both suits or casual outfits!

I like 2a or 2b.

While I'm all for more sparkle, I don't like the itty bitty pave diamonds they put in earrings. I don't think they have enough sparkle to be worth the cost. I'd rather put my diamond money into a bigger single diamond.

I'm a big fan of pave settings. They give nice sparkles without being too overwhelming the way bigger diamonds may be. That said I'm all for better mileage for my diamond money with convertible jewelry. Which is why I love my diamond huggies with interchangeable drops. I wear them all the time for work and on weekends. Basically whenever I feel like it and I don't think setting them with diamonds will make them 'black tie' or anything.

All 3 are great designs and what a great idea to use photoshop to help you visualize.
I am rooting for 1. I like the simplicity and clean look. Love the diamond sparkle at the top.

I'm a big fan of pave settings. They give nice sparkles without being too overwhelming the way bigger diamonds may be. That said I'm all for better mileage for my diamond money with convertible jewelry. Which is why I love my diamond huggies with interchangeable drops. I wear them all the time for work and on weekends. Basically whenever I feel like it and I don't think setting them with diamonds will make them 'black tie' or anything.

Well, there's pave and then there's PAVE. It really depends on who makes the earrings. I've see too many crappy diamond earrings with no sparkle. Better quality jewelers will have better pave pieces, obviously. I'm not saying get a big honking diamond instead of pave, but a channel set row of 3 pointers looks better to me that not very good pave. And is still wearable with jeans.

Like Icy, I also got diamond huggies and I wear them a lot with a number of pearl drop pairs. They are so versatile! So I suggest an option 4 with diamond huggies, and if you wanted you could place those two diamonds on top of each pearl, as accents, the way Icy Jade's huggies are.

Out of the options you present here, I like 2b and 3 best. While I love dangles on chains, I find they can be too distracting from strands -- but I guess that's just my personal impression.

For work/casual, I like the matte gold leverbacks without the diamonds. So option 2 but with just the pearls. Or huggies with the pearls as dangles. I wear mine a lot with my strands.

All options are lovely, it just comes down to personal style really! What are you leaning towards?

I'm with cmd - if I were making the earrings for myself, I'd choose plain gold lever backs without the extra diamonds, or alternatively wear them with diamond Huggies. My mum on the other hand, only wears long dangles and she would LOVE 2a or b!

What a wonderful way to enjoy my morning cup of joe!

I vote for 3, then 2b.

Keep us posted!!!

I like the first idea with the chain and rondelles. :)

Back