Are Pearl Party Oysters Dangerous? A UK investigation.

I don’t mind if my pearls take an extra week to arrive if customs have to start checking every package marked pearls? If it means these things are found and stopped from entering the country.
It would be ok. If everyone’s pearls took a little longer to arrive then all pearl sellers would just take that into consideration when ordering. It wouldn’t take long to adjust to I’m sure.

Anytime we can read nonsenses on the net. For exemple, that ethanol, which would be right to preserve oysters, can kill pearls (More sure it would be acetic acid, contained by a bad ethanol, to do that). I have tried to keep a pearl in alcohol, without damage for it. I think that it's only important to get lower percentage than 90% medical standart, because strong alcohol is avid of water, and mights take it from pearl.

Last edited:
I really cannot understand the attraction of opening an oyster that has been dead numerous days, to put your fingers all around it's insides just to find a small, bad quality pearl!
I can understand the element of surprise BUT it would be cheaper & less harmful to have the host put them into shell shaped boxes of different colors & have people choose them. The surprise is still there but the chemicals are not.
I'm sure the companies who sell the oysters sell the pearls loose too? Probably cheaper too to buy in bulk as well.
There are so many alternatives than these poor oysters. Those juvenile Akoya oysters could have produced some top quality Hanadama if they had been given the chance!

I really cannot understand the attraction of opening an oyster that has been dead numerous days, to put your fingers all around it's insides just to find a small, bad quality pearl!
I can understand the element of surprise BUT it would be cheaper & less harmful to have the host put them into shell shaped boxes of different colors & have people choose them. The surprise is still there but the chemicals are not.
I'm sure the companies who sell the oysters sell the pearls loose too? Probably cheaper too to buy in bulk as well.
There are so many alternatives than these poor oysters. Those juvenile Akoya oysters could have produced some top quality Hanadama if they had been given the chance!
I suspect that these oysters were the rejects of a pearl farmer...it just doesn't make much sense to use a perfectly good akoya oyster for this purpose. I completely agree with you...Why would you sacrifice a good akoya oyster that could potentially yield a more valuable pearls?

The idea of putting loose pearls into boxes, or something similar, has been suggested in the past. It was often met with a hostile responses. Maybe now that the truth is out about the oysters these party hosts may be more receptive to alternatives.

I’ve actively encouraged sellers i’ve Seen to swap to loose but then been accused of an attempt to profit from it myself. I use pearls yes and was only going to pass on a few contacts I don’t use but i’ve Been slandered online by one of the biggest suppliers. It makes me wonder if there’s another reason maybe as to why they won’t give up the shells because it made no sense when I wasn’t offering to supply myself to then turn round and make wild accusations about me and my own pearls

Back