Tsunami Effect on Pearl Production

jshepherd

I have decided to write this post as I have received numerous emails from people in the industry in the past week requesting information regarding industry repercussions of the devastating Tsunami that wreaked havoc on so much of South Asia.

At this point in time I have not heard a lot regarding damage to major pearl producing areas. Although the bulk of the Australian production is indeed on the Western side of Australia, I have not yet heard of any damage. The distance between the epicenter and the Western edge may account for this.

I do think, however, that there may be some damage to Indonesia's production. I know we have all heard about the devastation in Indonesia, but Sumatra, which faces the West and runs north to south, probably caught the brunt of the waves. This would mean that most pearling areas are protected.

So at this point I do not forecast a major drop in SSP or GSSP production through the next year.

If I do hear any more information on the topic I will post here.

As for Akoya production this should be completely unaffected. I do know that Dragon Pearl has an operation in Thailand, but I am unsure where this island is located. Needless to say this operation does not account for any market share.

Back