Dyed Pearls - Opinions?

LVLanghanke

It seems to me that dyed chocolate tahitians and dyed black akoyas are more "acceptable" if you will than dyed freshwaters, mabes, etc. Is there a rhyme or reason to it? Especially as all akoyas and fw are treated to some degree? What is your personal opinion on dyed pearls? Would you wear them? Do you wear them?

More acceptable? Possibly, because Tahitians and akoyas are more valuable than freshwaters generally.

Also, the reason for the dyeing matters. Chocolate Tahitians are made that color to meet a demand for the color. I don't know whether black akoyas predate the culturing of Tahitians, but they probably predate the price of Tahitians dropping to become much more affordable, so they also came into being to meet a demand. They are also darker than most Tahitians I've seen, and of course they are smaller and round. Some people may prefer that look.

Dyed freshwaters are different; they just exist to substitute for significantly more expensive pearls of natural color. As I understand it, it's often the lower quality freshwaters that are chosen for dyeing-- those that didn't make the color grade to be sold as white pearls.

I do not care for dyed akoyas. I do have a strand of baroque dyed freshwaters that I bought loose at a gem show for not a lot of money, back before I owned any Tahitians, and strung myself. I actually like them with certain outfits better than my Tahitians, due to their color range. So yes, I wear them.

Those are the only dyed FWP I have; I don't care for the ones dyed bright blue, green, cranberry, yellow etc. But if someone enjoys them as a bead alternative for hand crafted jewelry, why not?

I heard from a pearl vendor that the color of dyed pearls can fade with wearing. Is that also true?

I think sometimes it's the intention behind it too. Many dyed FWP's are marketed as Tahitians and GSS just so that they will be perceived as more valuable. And people will by them thinking that they got something for an unbelievable price when really they just got scammed. That doesn't feel great to me.

As a personal story, I was gifted a strand of exceptionally poor quality dyed FWP's that I'm pretty sure the gifter thought were something else. I wear them because of the thoughtfulness behind the gift, but at the same time they make me sad because I'm sure they weren't inexpensive (they came from a boutique, so I'm sure the retail mark-up price was way beyond what would be reasonable for what they are).

OTOH, from a reputable vendor who sells them as what they are for a fair price...I have no problem with that.

one clue in an eBay type description is 'Tahitian black pearls' which means pearls which have been dyed the colour called Tahitian black.

I guess the rhyme and reason for any of it is based on rarity which then translates into price (as long as demand is there too), and informally into status or "acceptability."

Un-dyed akoya and Tahitian pearls are rarer than freshwater pearls so it makes sense that dyed ones would follow suit.

I think the most gorgeous pearls I've ever seen are the crinkly bead-nucleated freshwaters with several insane metallic colors on each pearl. But they aren't that rare so not that expensive and not that snooty.

I have a dyed black freshwater rope that I like but tbh don't love quite as much as I did a few years ago. The pearls are every bit as pretty, with the same very colorful overtones but my snob index keeps creeping up haha. Well, really it's fair enough to appreciate natural things over very enhanced ones too.

Last edited:
And I still fall for ripple pearls with their crazy colors. I can't get enough of them...

Oh yes, the ripples with their veritable aurora colors are amazing! I would like a strand, but I can't decide what "base" color I would like.

I never thought I liked black akoyas, but the sale on PP made me stop and take a better look. I think I do like them, for a certain vibe. They're a bit more punk.

I have a few strands of dyed freshwater pearls from Honora that I bought early on in my pearl buying life! Two of the strands are dyed in what I am sure was meant to imitate the look of a multicolor Tahitian strand. One of them is dyed in pastels. I have to admit it is quite pretty, but the pearls (I realize now) are very low quality. I also used to own several strands from them in garish dyed colors, I sold all but one on Ebay. One keshi strand that is dyed a strange orange and then strung with similar colored keshi I just couldn't bear to part with. I don't know why, I will NEVER wear it again!

It seems to me that dyed chocolate tahitians and dyed black akoyas are more "acceptable" if you will than dyed freshwaters, mabes, etc. Is there a rhyme or reason to it? Especially as all akoyas and fw are treated to some degree? What is your personal opinion on dyed pearls? Would you wear them? Do you wear them?

I don't like dyed tahitians or akoyas but I'm more tolerant of dyed fwp. Probably cos fwp are cheaper so I don't find it such a crime to dye them.

I purchased one strand of dyed freshwaters from Honora. They were a hot mess but I needed them for a outfit I was wearing to a function. The dye was missing in many of the groves and pit so I used a black magic marker to fill them in so I couldn't return them. No, I never bought another strand or anything else from Honora again.

I purchased one strand of dyed freshwaters from Honora. They were a hot mess but I needed them for a outfit I was wearing to a function. The dye was missing in many of the groves and pit so I used a black magic marker to fill them in so I couldn't return them. No, I never bought another strand or anything else from Honora again.

Actually everything I ever got from Honora was a hot mess! The "Tahitian" strands I will never part with, nor the pastel dyed one. Nor the "orange aide" strand! I still have a couple of strands of "circle" pearls, as they called them, that are sitting in my pearl stash with my beading supplies. They are minus their clasps now, they happened to be 14kt and I used them for other stringing projects. These pearls are HORRIBLE. Pits and circles, and not circle in a nice way either! I am sure over time I will break them up and use them in other things. I hate that I didn't know any better when I bought them, but I didn't!

I have only purchased two items from Honora, both ripple pearls. The first a pair of earrings, that for the price, were quite lovely. They were under $100 and on heavy sterling findings. The second was a ripple strand that was around $350. Here is a photo of it next to my Edison strand. IMG_0737.jpg
I have since restrung the ripples, as they were on wire. The photo doesn't seem to capture their luster, which is very similar to the Edison strand. I guess I've had some good luck.
This shot, taken with flash, seems to get their shine.IMG_0701.jpg
And I should note, that none of these pearls are dyed...but the ripples are Honora.

Last edited:
Dyed pearls are a fashion item. And yes, on occasion they can fade. I had a strand of the most amazing bright aqua color freshwaters. When I went looking for them a few months later, I found a pale mint green. I also had some dyed gem beads drastically fade as well.

Interesting, GemGeek!

But I think the "Tahitian" type color treatment is stable, no?

PD, the "Tahitian" type dye is very heavy and only done to lower grade pearls. It would probably flake off before fading! :)

Back