Natural Pearls from the Gulf of California-Mexico

Really nice and good sized!
Two of these (larger ones) look like they come from the Panamic Black lip and the smaller ones from the Rainbow lip. Very clean surfaces, good luster too! :cool:

I sold my good natural pearls last year...I have very little to show at this moment :(

Conchas (2).jpg
Here we have another species that can make a non-traditional (non-nacreous) pearl: it is the Purple-lip Rock Oyster. The pearl could come out white, like the center of the shell and it would have no monetary value, but if it is purple like the edge then the pearl starts to be a valuable one.

Attachments

• Conchas (2).jpg
    Conchas (2).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 50
Ok, I need to learn to include images...

If you see at the center there is a big mound, that is like a natural half-pearl or blister-pearl, that rock oyster was defending itself from an intruder.

Now, let me share a picture from our good friend Edgar of a pearl from this species which has both colors.

We have a few more non-traditional species from the Gulf of California that can make pearls in our website perlas.com.mx/en/non-traditional-species/
except for number 9 which is a conch from the Caribean.

Attachments

• Escarlopa1.jpg
    Escarlopa1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 50
Is that you Enrique? I have the same photos that you are posting :wave:

Here we have another species that can make a non-traditional (non-nacreous) pearl: it is the Purple-lip Rock Oyster. The pearl could come out white, like the center of the shell and it would have no monetary value, but if it is purple like the edge then the pearl starts to be a valuable one.

Purple Hinged Rock Scallop (Crassodoma gigantea) A true scallop.
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Mollusca
Class:Bivalvia
Order:Pectinida
Family:Pectinidae
Genus:Crassadoma
Bernard, 1986 [SUP][2][/SUP]
Species:C. gigantea

Crassadoma gigantea is found on the Pacific Coast of North America, from British Columbia south to Baja, California[SUP]. [/SUP]Unlike other pelagic (swimming) scallops, these do not move around as an adult but live on the sea floor, inside crevices and under boulders, or cemented to rock surfaces, corals or man-made structures.Found at depths down to about 80 metres (260 ft).

Rock scallops are a favorite collectible food source for recreational divers. The large white adductor mussel is a considerable delicacy and often preferred raw. Incidence of pearls is common in this species. While many are highly calcareous, wholly or partial affixed to the shell, some pearls present with lustrous surfaces, deep irregular patterns and soft white color tones. Purple pearls may occur, but color is not singularly exclusive to valuation.

This shell is highly targeted by acid boring sponges. Boring sponges aren’t named thus because they’re mundane; rather, they make their homes by drilling holes into calcium carbonate shells. Using chemicals, they etch into the shell and then mechanically wash away the tiny shell chips, slowly spreading holes within the skeleton or shell and sometimes across its surface. Eventually, these holes and tunnels may penetrate the pallial cavity of the scallop, giving rise to blister type pearls or in extreme cases may kill their host, but the sponge will continue to live there until the entire shell has eroded away.

Scallop pearl from Tofino, BC. Canada.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop#/media/File:Scallop_pearl2.jpg

Hey Dave Lagoon Island Pearls I actually believe that this "rock scallop" Enrique shared is a Spondylus calcifer, related to the gorgeous Spondylus princeps or "thorny rock scallop". This species ranges from the Gulf of California down to Peru I believe. The one you shared ranges down to Baja (Pacific side).
Years ago I visited a small palapa on the beach where they served seafood and I saw this shell there...same species, it is still common in the Gulf of California.
Spondylus gigante.jpg - Spondylus calcifer

Attachments

• Spondylus princeps.jpg
    Spondylus princeps.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 51
I actually believe that this "rock scallop" Enrique shared is a Spondylus calcifer

Thank you for the correction, Douglas. Revisiting the image I see the difference at the outer margin and yes, the other specimen is a purple-hinge. It's interesting how these creatures are intensely targeted by boring worms. They have characteristically long lives compared to other mollusks, hence very thick shells. I suspect the foliated calcite structure is easier to infiltrate than the more complex structures from aragonite and the thickness provides plenty of space for deep occupation.

In the north, we often find pieces of weathered limestone on the beaches presenting with the same infiltration.

Is that you Enrique? I have the same photos that you are posting

Sii, soy yo, voy a compartir otras fotos muy simpáticas de dos perlas naturales de callo de hacha.

Pen shell pearls are not as highly regarded here because the nacre is prone to cracks and because they are usually formed by lots of protein, the periostrach, and little nacre.

This one is the Pawn, fifteen more pieces and I will have my whole "black" set.

And this other pearl Pen-shell pearl is The Globe.
Another collectible, if only for the shape.

Attachments

• The globe Perla natural de callo de hacha.jpeg
    The globe Perla natural de callo de hacha.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 58
The "Golf ball & T" too! ;)

My friend Edgar -the famous "Baja Pearl Diver"- sent me some photos of a very unique, different and whimsically baroque shaped pearl.
Weighing in at 70 carats, it is certainly not a small pearl. The species? The "Spiny Oyster" or Spondylus calcifer.
These pearls are usually white with either yellow-orange or purple...this one is also unique because it has all 3 colors...wow!
The shape...never seen one like it.

Attachments

• photo72773.png
    photo72773.png
    2 MB · Views: 63
In one photo I'm given a Hippopotamus vibe! ;)

Back