Abalone Pearl Culturing in British Columbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abalone Pearl Culturing in British Columbia

I stumbled across a neat little website about a university professor that started a small abalone pearl culturing project on the west coast of BC:

http://www.sfu.ca/~fankbone/abpearl/index.html

I have invited Dr. Fankbone to come and share his thoughts on the forum(fingers crossed).

Since I am originally from the same area I found it very interesting, I may try and do a tour of his operation next time I am in the area - I'll keep ya posted.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Haliotis pearl farm

Now that's something to look forward to.

Comment

Well I contacted Dr. Fankbone and it seems he's been retired for about 10 years and the farm as been shut down since then also. Too bad I was looking forward to making a visit.
      Kevin Canning
      Pearls Of Joy
      www.PearlsOfJoy.com
      Read My Blog
      FaceBook Fan Page
      1-800-451-1411

Comment

There is such a special place in my heart for the beauty of abalone shells...

Kevin
        I am sorry to hear Dr Fankbone is retired, but maybe he can give us some good info anyway.
        Last edited by Caitlin; 09-21-2009, 10:31 PM.
        Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

well don't forget to post those pictures here Zeidi, I'd love to see them too!

As for Dr. Fankbone he doesn't have any real projects on the go, but he is looking to license his process to a few operations in and around California - nothing concrete yet I don't think.
          Kevin Canning
          Pearls Of Joy
          www.PearlsOfJoy.com
          Read My Blog
          FaceBook Fan Page
          1-800-451-1411

Comment

Dr. Fankbone must be getting his e-mail packed with such inquiries! Including mine... a couple of days ago... Too bad I didn't see this thread first.

Does anyone have abalone mabe pearls in their collection? How do they stand wear? Anyone knows producers other than Erys? I am now waiting to hear from one.

Thanks!

Comment

Paul Cross and Michael Crowe of Island Pearls down in La Jolla have some growing in a saltwater tank in their office. Fankboner is now retired, I believe.
              Jeremy Shepherd
              President and Founder
              PearlParadise.com, Inc.
              The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
              PearlParadise.com on Flickr
              PearlParadise.com on Facebook
              Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

www.abpearls.com

Does anyone have abalone mabe pearls in their collection? How do they stand wear? Anyone knows producers other than Erys? I am now waiting to hear from one.

Thanks!

Yes.

www.abpearls.com

Northern California Red Abalone Cultured Mabe Pearls produced by US Abalone in Davenport, California.

Pearls are sold in the shell, rough cuts (1" squares"), and finished pearls ready for mounting.

Colors are blue, green and pink.

Cuts are 11.5 mm in size, but other sizes are available on request.

Bob Heald, Sales - Pacific Abalone Pearls.

sales@abpearls.com

Comment

Working...
                X