Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large blister pearl

Hi everybody,

In search for an enchancer for my newly produced long grey necklace I came across a brooche with a very big (30 mm) blister pearl.

I wonder if these pearls are salt-water or FW ones. Does anybody know from what sort of mollusk or oyster it may come?

And a more practical question: I don't think I keep it as a brooche, it has such a nice luster and colour that it is worse making a ring with this pearl. Any ideas about designs for large blister pearl rings?

Olga

Her are the photos (it is not that blue as on the picture, rather lavender-greyish):

Olga

This is dyed opercula.

Slraep

Comment

Sorry, I am not an expert - what is opercula? Is it the name of a mollusc?
      Olga

Comment

Oops, details, details, sorry it's operculum(plural: operculi) or osmena. A piece of specially secreted shell that is domed and blocks the entranceway to a gastropod's soft body tissue when that tissue is retracted. Pretty much like a trap door---keeps moisture in while keeping predators out. It must also have some other brilliant technological use for a gastropod that we humans are yet stupid about.

Slraep
        Last edited by Slraep; 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM.

Comment

It is also called turban snail shell or cat's eye.
          Jeremy Shepherd
          President and Founder
          PearlParadise.com, Inc.
          The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
          PearlParadise.com on Flickr
          PearlParadise.com on Facebook
          Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

I pretend I understand..
            But from what sort of shell it is? Oyster? Looks too big for a FW one but maybe I am wrong.

Although this is from a rgular Chinese shop, I would guess that this is a river one or not?
            Olga

Comment

Originally posted by olmander

I pretend I understand..
              But from what sort of shell it is? Oyster? Looks too big for a FW one but maybe I am wrong.

Although this is from a rgular Chinese shop, I would guess that this is a river one or not?
              Hi olmander,

Alright! Pretend this---it's from a big gastropod. Usually saltwater.

Slraep
              Last edited by Slraep; 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM. Reason: meant gastropod not haliotis

Comment

Hi Olmander

Osmena aka osmina comes from a nautilus shell. Your osmena is blue as are many of them. I don't know why they don't come in any colors but white and blue. I think slraep is correct when she says it dyed.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Caitlin; 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM.
                Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Oh good! I googled haliotis out, it is all clear now. Thank you for help!
                  Olga

Comment

It has not really been discussed on the pearl forum, but the operculum has a fascinating makeup....

"The operculum is not a product of the mantle. It is produced by a separate organ, the opercular disc, a pad of specialized secretory epithelial cells located right where the operculum is attached - on the posterior, dorsal aspect of the foot. The opercs of some species are secreted spirally, with new material being deposited on one edge only, and the operc gradually rotating on the opercular disc as it grows. Others are secreted concentrically, with new conchiolin being deposited on all edges of the operculum simultaneously, without rotation of the operc."

Slraep

Comment

This is indeed something comletely new to me - very interesting! I am digging on Google - looks really fascinating!
                      Olga

Comment

It stands that haliotis has something to do with abalone shells, or is at least from the abalone family - do I see it right?
                        Olga

Comment

Cat's eye comes from the Turbo species: Indo-Pacific Turbo petholatus

Other operculum can come from:

South African Turbo sarmaticus
                          Green Turban Turbo marmoratus
                          Turbo argyrostoma(small)
                          Turbo rugosum

Slraep

Comment

Thanks! I am going to dig further for these new ones...

Olga
                            Olga

Comment

Originally posted by olmander

It stands that haliotis has something to do with abalone shells, or is at least from the abalone family - do I see it right?
                              Abalone is a type of snail or Haliotis. But the ones with operculi are the ones that are turban shaped(twisty).

Slraep

Comment

Working...
                              X