Large blister pearl

What is it much to study for me today! I got my head big and round after so much reading and searching :)

I don't have ambitions for having abalone (in fact I did not know about abalone too until tonight), I am just trying to understand what it is and from where it comes, because I never met this type before. And the chinese shop was selling it as blister although I had dounbts about it from the beginning...

Thank you Slraep and Catlin!

Olga

I got a picture with some nautilus shell jewelry, looks indeed similar:

prodimg_6207265338.jpg

Oh-oh, the blue/grey colour may be natural.

"The nautilus shell is composed of 2 layers: the outer layer is a matte white, while the inner layer is a striking white with iridescence. The innermost portion of the shell is a pearlescent blue-gray."

But how do they get the colour to match so well on a pair of earrings?? So maybe they dye the white osmena after all. Some old text books clearly say the blue/grey colour is the result of dye. Someone should do some tests.

Slraep

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Olga,

I have a very nice pendant "Osmena pearl", the ridges are well defined and the colour is silver grey. Length 40 mm x 21 mm.

The Nautilus pompilius belongs to the family of Cephalopods, they are related to octopus, cuttle fish and the likes, animals with arms on/at their heads.

The Nautilus is a nightactive animal.
If you go to Dresden/Germany you could see beautiful carved objects in the "Green Room".

jerin said:
The Nautilus pompilius belongs to the family of Cephalopods, they are related to octopus, cuttle fish and the likes, animals with arms on/at their heads.

The Nautilus is a nightactive animal.
If you go to Dresden/Germany you could see beautiful carved objects in the "Green Room".

Hi Inge,

Yes, you are right, they do have a bunch of suckerless tentacles directly attached to their head! It has a cephalopod's body and a snail's shell. Weird but wonderful. I wish their interiors weren't so beautiful though. There is overcollection for its shell.

Nice pics here:

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/Npompil.php

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the photo of the thing in the daylight. The colours are not blue but pale silver-grey with some pink overtone. I could not get a good photo with correct colours, so in fact it is much lighter than on the picture.

Olga

Osmenapearlbrooche-vi.jpg

Here is the photo of the thing in the daylight. The colours are not blue but pale silver-grey with some pink overtone. I could not get a good photo with correct colours, so in fact it is much lighter than on the picture.

Olga

Osmenapearlbrooche-vi.jpg

The colour is very similar to mine, a lovely silver grey, but the ridges ar much more pronounced and I think the add said something about "non treated". Whatever, it looks lovely just as yours, Olga.

Back