No announcement yet.

Freshadama for men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know, the greater depth of colour is due to a thicker layer of nacre. Josh treats both his oyesters and his pearls very well

- Karin

Comment

So they would be thicker than the 0.8mm minimum then?

Comment

You're in Australia! I happen to know that Katbran bought some Tahitian pearls when she was in Hiong Kong (I should know, I got bored watching her choosing some strands and ended up buying loads more than I intended just because I sat there and matched up pairs to pass the time - as you do!)
        They were bigger than 10mm too - check with her cos I'm sure she could find the right pearl for you then make it up
        Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
        www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_95 View Post
          So they would be thicker than the 0.8mm minimum then?
          I'm pretty sure but you can ask Josh. He borders on the fanatic when it comes to the quality of his pearl farming

- Karin

Comment

Just like any farm, some pearls will have thicker nacre others won't. Nobody knows until the pearl has been drilled, and Josh's pearls don't have thicker nacre than another farmer's. Also, Tahitian pearl nacre is opaque, so 0.8 vs 1.8 will not make any difference in the depth of color. Color (at least overall color of harvest) is more influenced by the area or atoll where the pearls are produced. Some atolls consistently produce a lot more grays, whereas others, such as Rikitea, are known for producing vibrant colors and darker pearls.

The size of pearl you go with for a leather piece really depends on the person. I've seen people wear smaller (in the 10 mm range) pearls fine, especially when worn very close to the neck. When worn lower, I feel the larger pearl the better. I personally wear a 15 mm pearl.
            Jeremy Shepherd
            President and Founder
            PearlParadise.com, Inc.
            The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
            PearlParadise.com on Flickr
            PearlParadise.com on Facebook
            Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Jeremy!

- Karin

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_95 View Post

I think this is going to end up being a gift to me, my mother and girlfriend have both said they want to get it for me when I find the one I want. Aperently I am difficult to buy for. If it does end up being a gift, the budget wouldn't be able to go very far above $150.
                Well, I definitely understand that, having an adult son also. Since you have the leather and such, does that mean you could put the money towards a better pearl?

I like the carving on that pearl, the luster is a just bit better, but I like the color and the size is good. What do you ​think about it? Do you love it? Get it only if you love it.
                Last edited by lisa c; 09-30-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Did you go to Sven's store Eastern Trade Winds ? He has things there that are not on his eBay site . He's got a lot of carved Tahitians for around 160 , 13 mm . He has online chat that works for our time zone..tell him what you want and $$$ ..he can check his stock.
                  https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

Working...
                  X