Freshadama vs AAA - how obvious is the diff

saltyorfresh

Community member
hi

I'm considering a 35' 7.5-8mm FWP necklace. I've read about the key differences being Freshadama exhibit more luster and orient, and can consider as highest quality FWP.

i have purchased a 6.5-7mm AA+ black FWP necklace from PP and i found the luster being quite good with very clean surface (basically no blemishes). The pearls are off round and clearly seen from a few feet away. I haven't seen PP's AAA and Freshadama in person though. After the AA+ experience, i have absolutely no concern over blemishes. I am however, interested in knowing:

1) if there is any significant difference in roundness between these two grades?
2) how much more luster to expect from Freshadama?
3) any diff in color, orient?

Thanks in advance for your input!

If you are considering simply Pearl Paradise pearls then your questions should go to them really (Freshadama is their trade name for their top grade veryAAA /gem grade)

There will be very, very slight differences from strand to strand, even within the same grade. PP carries a huge inventory, and the more clear a customer can be about what qualities are most important to them, the easier to make the match.

A 35" necklace will be magnificent in that size! And so versatile!

All PP employees have completed the GIA pearl course and in my experience, are excellent at being personal shoppers!

Thank you for your suggestions and input. I think I will order an AAA strand and use the money saved on a pair of earrings. These things are addictive!

Just want to report back about the purchase:

Ordered a 35' 7.5-8 Freshadama (least creamy was my request for the overtone), a 16' 7.5-8mm silver-rose AAA Akoya and the Venus Collection Tin Cup earrings (blue baroque) akoya.

My biggest concern is whether the pearls are lustrous and they all are :). The Freshadamas are impressive. I did not expect them to shine so much. I am also very impressed to see that the pearls are super 'clean'. only a few have a single mark on them, virtually spotless is fair description.

The AAA Akoya necklace is beautiful! they are well matched in size. Love the mirror like shine. The silver-rose tone has an interesting effect - they look pinker under certain light so it's fun just admiring them under different lighting and angles.

The earrings are lovely too. I now understand what some of you meant by 'orient'.

Now that I have seen the pearls in person, I'd like to share with the forum my take on the differences between Freshadama and Akoya. i am kind of answering my own questions but i hope this would be useful to shoppers researching on the subject:

1) if there is any significant difference in roundness between these two grades?

Yes. I can't speak for others, but the Freshadama necklace i received is not as 'round' as i had expected. If perfect roundness is important, I would recommend Akoyas.

2) how much more luster to expect from Freshadama?

Both the Freshadama and Akoya are very lustrous. Which one shines better depends on own preference I guess, since they shine differently. But given the price of Freshadama, I have to say they are to me most value for money.

3) any diff in color, orient?

I don't see any orient on the Freshadama. Haven't spent as much time with the Akoya yet so can't comment on that. As to the color, it's hard to describe but somehow the Akoyas seem to be 'brighter' than the Freshadama I don't know if that's even a fair comparison as they have diff overtone. But that's just the impression that i have on the necklaces.

The pearls are just BEAUTIFUL! to me, luster is most important so seeing them shine like crazy make me very very happy.

Glad to hear you got such lovelies!

In your first post you were asking about the difference between freshwaters of different grades, but in this last post you discuss the difference between freshwaters and Akoyas.

That is a big difference-- Akoya (saltwater) pearls do have a sharper, harder luster than freshwaters, and of course they are rounder since they have a round bead inside.

Oh yes Pearl Dream, thanks for pointing that out. Now that I re-read my original post, I did ask about Fwp. Somehow my mind decided hat I should talk about akoya vs Freshadama instead...

But when I wrote about roundness of freshadama, it was based on what i see vs how i perceive the description on the PP site :)

Wish I could help you. Only say AAA or AA, it is hard for people to judge quality. But I have experience. with my guide, you can judge it yourself.

Hi joyful grow.
I seem to be chasing you around this site, trying to help you from being banned, over there; teaching you how to post, here. If you want to stay, why don't you just read for a while before offering to help? You really need to practice your English writing skills so we can understand what you are saying. It is very difficult to guess what you mean.

We have lots of experts who write English better than you and can help posters. You can let them answer instead of saying you can't and learn something.

If you are talking about the same 'guide' as you did in another post, what is your plan- to translate it? Are you going to share it?

Please be aware that we have been here over 8 years. We have people here who speak Mandarin and have been to China 100 times and really know how to judge pearls and they speak English fluently. Maybe if you just read for a while, you will learn enough to see where you can actually make a contribution before you jump in.

Who are you? What company pays you to join forums and post?

Try this:

Go Advanced
On next page, click on Manage Attachments
Box opens up-- click on +Add Files
Then click on Select files
After selecting the file from your computer, click on Open
Then click on Upload files
Type the text for your post in the box, and when you preview, you should see your photo.
Then hit "post" and your post should have the photo.

There is a size limit for photos. Try not to upload large photos. I tend to size them as "medium".

Or else you can upload a photo from your computer (medium size; too large and it won't upload) to an album you create on your profile page, then copy and paste the image link from that album photo to your post. That will work too.

OR you can upload the photo to Photobucket or another hosting site, and use their image link in your post. However, if you ever remove that photo from the hosting site, the image will no longer appear in your post. This is why it's best to upload it from your computer instead, if you can.

Back