Ummm....long-ish necklace

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
9feet 8inches, 11-12mm freshwaters. silver and pale rose quartz clasp.

Well, I was bored one afternoon at Manchester Market. It goes round my neck six times

It is called the Shirley Schmidt after Candice Bergen in the role in Boston Legal because she has a long big pearl necklace

Last edited:
Wendy,
A very, very fun rope! You will surely get noticed when wearing that! Love the size of the pearls also! Great clasp! That's amazing that you could make in one afternoon! I am very impressed!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Wendy,

Looks like you knotted between each pearl? Did you have to add thread, and if so how did you do it?

Pattye

3 meters! :eek:

That thing must reach down to the knees... Quite the naughty pearl experiment :p

Wendy,

Looks like you knotted between each pearl? Did you have to add thread, and if so how did you do it?

Pattye

LOL, very observant of you Pattye! Let's see, length X 5 = I'll NEVER be that bored!

Yes, knot between each and every pearl. to join I did a sort of modification of the ends with french wire, drilled them out and knotted the old and new through together for three pearls, then a dab of glue. In fact down to my feet just about if round neck.
I didn't set out to make something that long, it just grew

I've been thinking about making a very long strand, but wondering how to manage all that thread. Well, now I know! Thanks ;)

We are looking into making a 10-foot strand for a customer now. She wants us to create a piece that Kiki De Montparnasse sells. Kiki sells the 6-7 mm freshwater for $4,800 and the 8-9 mm freshwater for $18,000. They would be used as restraints, so we are going to need to widen the drill holes substantially and use something other than thread to knot the pearls.

Thanks for that Jeremy - maybe I should up my price. Do you know what quality the pearls are - and are they knotted individually?

Kiki - what a stylish website, very elegant.

It is all too easy to think that pearls are the solution for every problem (I'll post a photo of my new bathroom light pull asap) but I don't think much reinforcement would be needed for this project - for one thing fastening isn't ever going to be very secure - the originals don't seem to have more than the two loop and ring arrangements (is that one at each end of a long strand?)

Wonderful work for some really nice pearls! I look forward to the stylish pearl pull and more pictures of your work.

okay. These were made with all sterling silver and rose and heather shades of granulated (aka rosebud - why rosebud?) pearls. I made a necklace with rose and creamy white too but that was bought off my neck an hour after I finished it!

Last edited:
Wendy:
Beautiful pieces.
How are the rosebud's different from druzy pearls?
barbie

oh, okay. I love these pearls, I've ordered loads more, they are being dyed for me now.
I don't know if they are different to druzy I've made more, just need to process the photos

Last edited:
:eek:Now that's a rope! It's fantastic--I love the clasp. Beautiful necklaces and bracelet too. You are very talented.

Oh my goodness! I hate my time zone!! Just when I'm off to bed for the night, all these gorgeous photos show up!

Wendy - your long rope is sensational! How come nobody has asked for a neck shot yet? Come on, you know we need to see one. BTW when I knotted a 50 inch rope the other day, I found it much easier if I put the pearls on first, then did the knotting. It made me much less anxious about all that thread..

The druzy/rosebud/granulated/whatever pearl pieces are gorgeous - they seem to be your signature item, Wendy! Nice work!

Jeremy - still wondering what you mean by the 10 foot rope being "used as restraints". Like Blaire, I just think that sounds a touch kinky. Would love to know what's in store for those pearls...

We are looking into making a 10-foot strand for a customer now. She wants us to create a piece that Kiki De Montparnasse sells. They would be used as restraints....

Only for tying people up? No other uses for pearls? Maybe larger size pearls ?
If you want to explore more in the same vein, google "pearl Kama Sutra".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back