Can you see the orient in this?

airdancer

May I get some opinions if there is a difference in between 1 and 2 in terms of their orient and luster? They look almost the same to me and not exciting at all. Sorry, I don't know how to put pictures in the post.

This is 1

This is 2

Hi! I think it's just the quality of your pictures (on which the second version looks better to me but I guess in life they are about the same).

I have a similar one and this is one of my favourites, it has such an amazing glow!!! I just can not leave it out of hands! Just try those of yours in a different light.

WoPwhite2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Olmander, yours look simply amazing!

I saw this baroque necklace of yours in another thread and wrote to the shop you mentioned to ask for similar baroque pearls. But I can't really see the luster from the pictures and am quite hesitant to buy it outright since it is costly for me to return.

Oh, I see! But if these are pictures from VoP-Munich, it is indeed the quality of photos.

The photos they've sent to me when I was ordering were also not exciting. But I knew what I was doing because a month before I was there in the shop during my business trip to Munich and got a similar peach-beige-apricot long necklace which was (and still is) just fabulous!

That's why I knew that this must be the same type of pearls.

So, if it is from there - don't hesitate, I saw those pearls in person:)

Best

Olga

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! That's very reassuring.

Here is the photo of the same necklace which I got from the shop before ordering. This is the same necklace as on my previous photo. As you see the product itself is much more encouraging :)

VoPasitwas-vi.jpg

Wow! That greenish-yellow/purple/peach colored pearl is unlike anything I have ever seen.

Can't find the baroque pearls on Blue Legend

Can't find the baroque pearls on Blue Legend

Does someone have the link to find the baroque pearls on the Blue Legend web site? I can't seem to find them. Thanks. They are really nice looking. :)

Jody, they don't have baroques in Legend Blue, as far as I know...

Olga

Thanks Olga

Thanks Olga

Thanks Olga, my mistake, thought they were Legend Blue.

Jerin, I am trying to detect orient - I always think I know it when I see it, but defining it is a whole different ball game! Do you mean the pearl in the middle of the top row of pearls in the multicoloured strand? And do you mean the pearl at the right close to the bottom of the picture in the white strand?

Thanks!

Nerida

The multicoloured strand is extremely desirable :p If you click on the magnifying glass icon, you would be able to get a bigger picture of the strand - not necc. clearer however - and you would be able to see the incredible luster as well as the orient on the pearls. The colours are gorgeous and seem to have a delicate translucent quality. Simply amazing strand but unfortunately out of my budget.

I am pretty sure that the pearls in the multicolored strand are fireballs, bead nucleated freshwater pearls. The metallic colors are usually very beautiful. I saw many wonderful strands of fireballs at the Tucson gem show last week and the prices have gone up drastically.

Gail

Gail - can you tell me if these are fireballs? I bought these in China, not from a grower, and no-one could tell me why they are this shape. I loved them, wear them myself often, but they were pretty expensive... They are fairly big - 13mm average across the diameter of the "sphere" and 19.5mm average length including the tail... I would just love to know what they are - they were the ONLY strand I saw in my travels..

Sorry for the poor quality of the photographs!

79LP maybe fireballs.jpg

79 LP close up.jpg

They look like died nucleated freshwater pearls to me. 'The type is called 'fireballs' sometimes...

I am not sure whether the oil-on-water colors on such pearls are orient only, in some cases there seems to be an excess of oxidized die that also has waves of rainbow colors on its own only of somewhat different appearance: static, more intense but flat... not sure how to put it, but it is an instantly recognizable look once you've seen any large spot of dried printing ink.

What makes them this way... I've asked that at some point (another thread around here) and the answer came that #1. the anatomy of freshwater mollusks does not allow for the pearl sacks around implanted nuclei to remain in a steady shape, so the result are mostly baroque pearls as layers of nacre keep changing shape with the sack, and #2 that the 'tails' are formed because of slow closing pearl sacks bulging on one side of the the nucleus - something that can and does happen with some baroque saltwater nucleated pearls too, so there is some similarity between the types (which makes good PR for freshwater fireballs). I tend to believe the stories of pearl sacks. A search for 'fireball pearls' might bring those threads up too.

There were a couple of strands like yours discussed here already, but there doesn't seem to be that many in general.

Hi Valeria - thanks for your response. I assumed they were dyed - and is the "orient" on any dyed black FW's really orient ever? or is it just the dye itself? I've never really known. I love wearing this strand because it is unusual .. I just didn't know if this is what is called fireball. According to some info that Jeremy and Doug have written on one of the front pages, fireballs are the result of a 2 or 3 step process - with the removal of a coin pearl first, then bead nucleating back into the pearl sac - maybe that's why it doesn't close properly and you get the tail? Sometimes there is a keshi harvest from the same pearl in between...
Anyway, I had no idea of what they were when I bought them - last day in China, may not get back there any time soon, and a bit of an impulse buy from a "middleman" dealer who also had no idea. I think the price started at around $1000 AUD - I didn't pay anything like that, but they were still far more expensive than most of my purchases..

Very pretty Nerida. Its amazing how pearls vary. I love seeing the pictures.

Back