My first KLONKish strand of pearls

raggdoll

So I'm not sure if these really qualify as klonks, but they measure from 10-13mm so they are on the larger side. This is my second strand of freshwaters (my first was 9,5mm so it seems like I am indeed struck by PSS). I bought these second hand (from a pawn shop) and I think they were reasonably priced. However, being the newbie that I am, I would very much like to hear your opinions. These pearls are somewhat off round and have some surface imperfections, and they need restringing because whoever strung these last made the graduation look very off center and wonky. But I think these pearls are beautiful and as far as I can tell they have a nice luster (clearly I'm no expert at this though! :eek:). I'm hoping my pictures are good enough for you to tell!

Attachments

• IMG_6804.jpg
    IMG_6804.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6805.jpg
    IMG_6805.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6807.jpg
    IMG_6807.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6808.jpg
    IMG_6808.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6811.jpg
    IMG_6811.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 44
I'm not sure if my pictures are awaiting to be approved or if they need to be resized?

I can't seem to post or see photos today, either.

The website may still be experiencing some issues.

Not only can I not see new photos being posted but I'm experiencing other glitches, like having to retype this post after it vanished while trying to post it. Editing my posts is very slow and page loading is slow.

Yup, I've been experiencing the same glitches and slow loading of pages. But now I can at least view my photos in this post and some of the photos in other threads. Oh well, hope it is soon back to normal. I really like hanging out in this forum. Haven't been posting much as of yet, but I have learnt a lot and been inspired enough to learn how to restring my own pearls. So far I've restrung about ten necklaces and I'm really liking it! I started using double thread (Japanese method) but later got hooked on tweezer method! It is really like meditating (until something goes wrong and then it's not so calming anymore!)

It is really like meditating (until something goes wrong and then it's not so calming anymore!) Ha, this is so true.

They look lovely and have a nice luster from what I can tell. I agree they need a little size sorting, looks like it was a little out of order there.

Thank you! This will be the first time I rearrange a graduated strand so I am a bit nervous, but it shouldn't be too bad since there aren't that many pearls. Would not want to try it with a classic graduated strand that has lots of tiny pearls. Just the thought of accidentally knocking the tray over when you're almost done sorting them... !

AH, I can finally see the photos. Nice strand.

If you don't have a necklace tray (a sort of velvety lined tray with a curve in it to lay the necklace out on), then I recommend you get several layers of flannel, or a scrap of that velvety blanket fabric, or a towel to lay the pearls on. It will keep them from rolling around. If you can also lay the fabric in a something like a lunch tray, that has a lip, then if it gets knocked, nothing will roll out onto the floor.

I also recommend you get some Beader's Secret and a big eye needle and some gimp (the coiled metal stuff next to the clasp) from Pattye (Patrica Saab Designs on Etsy). It will make the stringing go some much easier.

Last edited:
I can see them now, too.

Your pearls have nice luster, raggdoll, and they will look even better after you've rearranged and restrung them.

The gray, flocked bead trays are very useful since they also have inch markings on them. Michaels sells them, probably Joann's also, and they don't cost much.

Please post photos when it's done! :)

They look like they were a great buy! Great pics! I'm really interested in stringing my own pearls too, and it helps to read about others' endeavors!

I have everything you mention BWeaves, except I use high performance thread from Griffin instead of beaders secret. It is more readily available here in Scandinavia and I think it works really well. I do use one of those grey pearl trays, the are great for laying out and planning project. However since I don't have a special assigned beading area I still have to remove my tray when I want to take a break, hence the risk (or fear) of sometimes accidentally knocking something over :eek:

They look like they were a great buy! Great pics! I'm really interested in stringing my own pearls too, and it helps to read about others' endeavors!

Oh thank you! It is definitely not as bad as I first thought it would be. The double thread method is super easy, however I prefer one thread tweezer method since it's easier to choose thread size and it works well even for pearls with really tiny drill holes. I think any of those YouTube instruction videos will be greatly helpful for you, it sure was for me. I would not have figured out how to use gimp or how to start/end a string otherwise (some things are just to tricky to imagine when only read about, at least for me!)

Please do post when you've restrung! I agree they will look fabulous when redone. I love to hunt in my local pawn shop for odds and ends...never know what you'll find.

Yes, pawn shops can hold such great bargains. I've made at least one or two really great finds over the years! And I will sure post pictures when I'm done restringing them :)

I decided to bring out my tape measure to look more closely on their size (I have not measured them myself before, it was the pawn shop owner who had marked them as 10-13mm) and it looks like they might be slightly larger than expected. But I will buy me a caliper so I can be sure. Just wondering, does it matter if the caliper is all metal (wondering if it could scratch pearls?). I´ve seen that some calipers have a plastic/carbon material, but those seem to be more expensive and harder to find where I live. So will it do with a digital one made completely in metal?

(I'm adding pictures of the smallest and largest pearls.)

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 34
Hi raggdoll, I bought a very cheap ($3-4) plastic calipers and it was a waste of money. Then I checked many of the online reviews of calipers; the very best was about $100, but there were several almost-as-good-but-cheaper ones. I ended up getting this one for about $27 on Amazon:

iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper 0-6" Display Inch/Metric/Fractions Stainless Steel Body

I love it; it is extremely easy to use and very precise. One thing I like is that you can measure the diameter of the pearl drill hole, which is really handy if you are planning to make some into earrings and need to make sure the head pin or whatever will fit. I'm sure you can find similar calipers in a reasonable price range.

After I make some earrings with my loose pearls, I will attempt restringing. I admire your taking that on!
Linda

...I do use one of those grey pearl trays, the are great for laying out and planning project. However since I don't have a special assigned beading area I still have to remove my tray when I want to take a break, hence the risk (or fear) of sometimes accidentally knocking something over :eek:

I know there are also bead boards with lids so that beads don't get lost when the board is moved.

Mine don't have lids but I do this to avoid having my beads get lost or out of order, if I have to move my project before I'm done: I string the pearls or beads temporarily on a piece of beading wire, then clip both ends. One could also string them temporarily on thread.

I know there are also bead boards with lids so that beads don't get lost when the board is moved.

Mine don't have lids but I do this to avoid having my beads get lost or out of order, if I have to move my project before I'm done: I string the pearls or beads temporarily on a piece of beading wire, then clip both ends. One could also string them temporarily on thread.

So far I've been stringing my pearls temporarily on thread so I can wash them properly, but I think I just might look in to those boards with lids. They sound practical!

Back