What was most regrettable pearl moment?

...And then there were the regrettable pearl-related incidents. Like the time a vendor kept me from returning something that was not as advertised (he required that you contact him for a code number for returns, but then he wouldn't provide one). It turned into a big thing, and then he kept getting smart with me on top of it in various venues, which practically made my head explode lol.

And once I dragged my husband to a pearl stringing lesson a local craft shop. The woman teaching it showed up drunk and kept getting handsy with my poor startled husband. I was about to croak because the molester I mean teacher was so, er, dreadful that if I appeared jealous in any way I thought it would only entertain everyone and I'd be the craft store bozo so I just had to eat it. It's funny now but omg! But I digress...

Last edited:
...And then there were the regrettable pearl-related incidents. Like the time a vendor kept me from returning something that was not as advertised (he required that you contact him for a code number for returns, but then he wouldn't provide one). It turned into a big thing, and then he kept getting smart with me on top of it in various venues, which practically made my head explode lol.

And once I dragged my husband to a pearl stringing lesson a local craft shop. The woman teaching it showed up drunk and kept getting handsy with my poor startled husband. I was about to croak because the molester I mean teacher was so, er, dreadful that if I appeared jealous in any way I thought it would only entertain everyone and I'd be the craft store bozo so I just had to eat it. It's funny now but omg! But I digress...

Hahahaha....what a funny (in hindsight) story. Poor hubby. Poor you.

Sea Urchin - oh dear how funny !! Made me think of the time my husband John and I were in a high end jewellery store in NYC at Christmas..he was standing next to me while I stared into the glass top counter looking at the ridiculously expensive WSS strands...mesmerised I slapped him on the butt and said ' if you really loved me you'd buy those for me!' And the strange man next to me said ' If I knew who you were I'd consider it..." LOL

Things I regret ( other than slapping strange men on the butt) are mainly the earlier purchases before I knew very much ... but mainly it's the ones that I didn't buy...I still think of a huge drop shaped weird swirly patterned Tahitian that was 4 figures wholesale... 4 years and I still think of it...

Best story ever, Kat! And I know what you mean about the ones that "got away"...

Omg Sea Urchin & Katbran! Hilarious stories, thanks for sharing!

Katbran, that is hilarious!

My regret: The day my white metallic studs arrived, I took them to the kitchen to show my husband as soon as he walked in the door. I fumbled one and it fell to the floor and rolled around as I watched in consternation. Sure enough, it got scratched. Fortunately the scratch isn't visible except with a loupe, but still!! No more showing off my new pearls over a tile floor!

Thanks for making me laugh so much! I managed to take a divot out of my big white SSP ring. I replaced it with a metallic freshwater, so although I no longer have a white ssp ring, I do have this "purloined pearl" ring with the floating red overtone...

Blaire Beavers Metallic Pearl Ring .jpg

I intended to leave this necklace at my aunt's house in Puerto Rico after I got married and have my brother bring it back with him when he came back to the States. Somehow i accidentally took it with me to Iceland and Norway, and I tried to make sure it will always be carried in my money belt. As we were packing to get back home, I packed my belt [which didn't have money, only IDs and my pearl necklace] inside the luggage. After I got home a couple of days later and unpack, it was gone. I have not cried so much for something in my life, it was my first purchase of a Sea of Cortez pearl. It had a severe flaw on the other side, but it was beautiful and I loved it. I am still kicking my butt over it. I 20160720_155731.jpg
12986386_820130408099275_760527398_o.jpg

These stories are great! I love starting out the day with a great story that makes me smile!

I think my biggest regrets so far are not asking travelers to Bora Bora (best friend, a couple of years ago) and Fiji (in laws, last year) to bring me back something pearl-related as a souvenir (with reimbursement, of course!)

Of course, I know Fijian pearls aren't cheap, but still, would have been worth a shot!

Perhaps I will travel to Tahiti and Fiji myself someday with my husband, then I can pick out my own pieces :)

I think my biggest regrets so far are not asking travelers to Bora Bora (best friend, a couple of years ago) and Fiji (in laws, last year) to bring me back something pearl-related as a souvenir (with reimbursement, of course!)

Of course, I know Fijian pearls aren't cheap, but still, would have been worth a shot!

Perhaps I will travel to Tahiti and Fiji myself someday with my husband, then I can pick out my own pieces :)

Oh man, that is hard! I totally understand!

Omg KatBran, I would have turned beet red and died from embarrassment, I am very shy but have the bad habit to slap my husband's butt, jajajaja.

Katbran, that has to be one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while! So, did you give the stranger your name and ask him again? :D

Back