techniques

M

MABE BRAZIL

Hi all,
is there any publication specifically about freshwater surgery (tissue nucleation)? I am buying some equipment and instruments to do my first insertion, and I am needing a kind of check list.

Ricardo

There are many publications that talk about tissue nucleation for Freshwater pearls but I am not aware of any journals that specifically cater to this production. You may want to contact an experienced farmer who is willing to be a mentor for you.

Thanks Amanda,
could you indicate me any farmer that will enjoy this kind of joint venture?

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

One obvious way would be to hire an experienced pearl nucleator from China. There may be a foreign exchange program at your university that specifically handles graduate study foreign exchanges with Chinese universities. You can probably find one through the system who has experience in tissue nucleation.

Zeide

Hi Zeide,
the major problems about these exchange programs are the long time I will must wait (aprox 6-8 months). Probably will be more ease and quickly if I contact someone directly. Therefore I could use the animals now (they are ready for nucleation).
This is the fact that becames so booring in this forum, asking about everything.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Have you tried posting a job notice at the university bulletin board? They probably have a pin board at the student union and for sure an online one. Chances are that there are already expert tissue nucleators from China at the University of Sao Paolo but they are in the French or geology department or someplace else you never expected to find one. Remember how you found your pinctada atropurpurea? They were right under your nose. In the same vein, your tissue nucleation expert may have been serving you your pizza for years and you simply never asked him or her about tissue nucleation. You may also ask at Chinese restaurants in town.

Zeide

Hi Ricardo

I haven't posted on this thread because I don't know anything about this, but I do read it because I am most interested in your progress. Please keep up the good work. I have my fingers crossed you will find your nucleater soon. I am cheering for you!

Hi Zeide,
I just looking for this information but the results were negative. Maybe could I contact someone throught Pearl Journal. Any manner I will go to China-Brazil commercial chamber to get more information.
Thanks for support Caitlin

Ricardo

Ricardo,

Get a copy of the old japanese book (translated, of course): Modern Methods of Aquaculture in Japan, by authors Kafuku & Ikenoue...circa 1973.
You will find what you are looking for there.

Have fun...I did in my time

Douglas,
thanks for the reference, i will looking for it in my university library. At time, your university have some kind of exchange (schoolarship). Now I am doing my PhD at Sao Paulo University, with endangered freshwater mussel. maybe we coul make some work together.
thanks again

Ricardo

Ricardo,

We don't have an "exchange" program at our local Campus, but the University of Baja California Sur, in La Paz, has one (UABCS) and they have people with knowledge in the field. You could try contacting Dr. Carlos C?ceres or Dr. Pedro Saucedo (of CIBNOR).

If you can't find this info please let me know...I can rummage through my old files and see if I have this information at hand to send you a copy.

Regards,

Back