Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80' vs contemporany akoya pearls

Hello,

I would like to add a smaller size akoya necklace to my collection and looking I have found 2 options.
    1. a lovely vintage akoya necklace from the 80' in an UK shop
    - sellers info: AAA , thick nacre, a shining luster and subtle rainbow overtones
    I would say they are AA+, good nacre & luster, cream color with pink-green overtones
    2. a new akoya necklace from a Japanese shop
    - sellers info: very good luster AA, minor flaws AB, nacre >0.3, white pink
    I say the luster is very good, color silver white with green-pink overtones, for sure bleached.

Considering the variations in the quality of akoyas over time which one would you think is best in therms of nacre quality and life span?
    Last edited by Joaz; 02-04-2021, 08:02 PM. Reason: Gramar error

Hello Joaz, and Welcome to our Pearl Loving Forum!
    Those are very good questions that I am sure some of our Members will be able to share their experience on Akoya pearls with you.
    Welcome again.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

The problem with older strands is that even if the nacre was originally thicker (and it may or may not have been; there have always been better strands and inferior strands) it may be thinner now. Nacre is soft and gradually wears away with contact with skin (which is acidic), general pollution, exposure to cosmetics etc.

Also you have to think about whether you prefer a creamy tone or a whiter tone. Everyone's complexion is different.

It is likely the first strand was also bleached. Bleaching is a standard pre-treatment process for akoyas. The vintage pearls have originally been whiter, and yellowed over the years.

Comment

@cortezpearls Thank you very much! I have been fallowing the forum for some time but this is my first interaction here!

@pearldream I have the same reserve about old nacre! You may be right about the 80’ pearls beeing initialy bleached.
        Last edited by Joaz; 02-04-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

the 80's necklace

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	396125Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	396126

Comment

the japanese necklace

Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1898234462_h17l.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	396127Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1945765187_n49b.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	396128
            I am waiting for better pictures of exact item, but I think you can make an idea.

Comment

Good morning Joaz
              Well, both pearl necklaces look lovely. The newer necklace seems to have a more metallic silver look, but the pearl sizes are small for my liking (5.0-5.5 mm)...but it is all a matter of personal taste. How big are the pearls on the 80's strand?
              BTW: Great photos.
              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
              Follow Me!
              Instagram
              YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Both necklace are of the same size5-5.5mm. I do know most people prefer bigger sized pearls but I do realy like the smaller sized ones maybe because bigger pearl necklaces (>9-9.5) look strange on me.

Comment

Depending on you skin complexion, and also your size, if you are petite or not, large shoulders, fine neck or so, small pearls can be very good.
                  Over 12mm it looks so big it looks like a tibetan monk artifact, very ugly.
                  https://www.facebook.com/TheArcadiaWorkshop/

Comment

Exactly ))

Comment

You guys, very funny! I’d say, good advice given and enjoy the small pearls while you’re young!

Comment

I love the cool silvery tones of the contemporary necklace but it won't be flattering for every skin tone.
                        Contemporary Jewelry by Beatriz Fortes
                        My blog

Comment

I decided on the silver japanese one. I will post some photos when it arrives.

Comment

Yes! That's the one that got me excited!
                            Please do send photos
                            Happy Weekend!
                            Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                            Follow Me!
                            Instagram
                            YouTube

Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

They both look great. Given the choice, I'd go for the new necklace, which you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X