You Helped Me Before! Estate Find...

zoocache

Hi-
I'm a lurker- learning but rarely posting. You helped me on a pretty necklace I scored a couple of years ago- so maybe you can help me again. I picked these up from an estate sale- a smoker's estate. They were really dirty- filthy dirty- so I don't think the company thought they were real. I LOVE pearls and it was the setting that got me. It seemed too well done- so I thought they were either really nice costume (which I like- too) or real and they were only a couple of dollars. I cleaned them a bit (Ha!) and it does look like they could be stamped 22? They are gritty and have the common hallmarks of real pearls that you guys talk about- slightly imperfect- variation in color/halo etc. But what do you think? I'm not selling but if you think I need a rider on my insurance- LOL- let me know. 20171021_144104.jpg

Attachments

• 20171021_145000.jpg
    20171021_145000.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20171021_145021.jpg
    20171021_145021.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171021_144347.jpg
    20171021_144347.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171021_144336.jpg
    20171021_144336.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20171021_144848.jpg
    20171021_144848.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 39
Is that a brand name on the outer part of the finding? 3rd photo down and up at the top around 1 o'clock? It looks like writing but may be scratches. The gold is certainly GOLD coloured. Other's that deal in older jewellery can probably help out. The look to be button shaped, and either cream coloured or yellowed with age. What size are they ... I'm assuming around 6 mm ?

The color is that of 22K gold and the screw backs would imply they are expensive. I don't have a feel for the pearls themselves. How big are they?

The color is that of 22K gold and the screw backs would imply they are expensive. I don't have a feel for the pearls themselves. How big are they?

I'm not totally sure. I have the Newman book and when I compare it to her chart (sideways) they look like they could be 7 or 7.5mm. I'll post one with them next to a dime. Thank You!

I hope these newer pictures help. I think they may be around 7/7.5 but they are hard to compare to the round chart that I have. What kind of pearls do you think they are? Akoya? Too small to be South Sea? I think they may be from the '60s. Each one is marked in the same area w/ what looks like 22 but the post obscures it a bit. Thank you for all your thoughts.

I would take them to a jeweler and have the gold tested for the Karat. Riders on your insurance are expensive, these don't appear to be worth much even if they are gold once you factor in the cost of the appraisal for the rider and what 22K is going for per gram on the old gold market. $34.19gr.

We know the diameter of a dime (17.9mm) and by measuring both the dime and your pearls in the photo and using a ratio, I calculate the pearls to be about 8mm in diameter.

I agree with having the gold tested.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your information! I need to get one of the posts worked on, it's a bit too fat for one of my ears. I'll let you know what the jeweler says...

Thank you all- just got them back from the jeweler who took the threaded posts down a bit. They are 22kt! Nice find and I appreciate all the wisedom and comments. I know they are not 'quality' pearls but if anyone would like to hazard a guess as to what they are- I would appreciate it. Akoya? Jeweler seemed to think the settings were from the 50s or 60s. Best Regards!

Ooohhh, those are so unique and lovely! What a wonderful find.

I believe those are Button shaped Freshwater pearls.

Back