Will 0.4mm nylon be strong enough?

StevieBoy

Hello all!

Im thinking of making an opera length rope of freshwater rice shaped/ringed pearls for my next project, but the pearls are BIG!

11-12mm x 12-14mm

If I am knotting between each pearl, will 0.4mm nylon silk be strong enough to hold the weight of such big pearls?

Hello all!

Im thinking of making an opera length rope of freshwater rice shaped/ringed pearls for my next project, but the pearls are BIG!

11-12mm x 12-14mm

If I am knotting between each pearl, will 0.4mm nylon silk be strong enough to hold the weight of such big pearls?
My "Wilma Flintstone" pearls are roughly that size and I used 0.4 silk, I just double knotted between each pearl to provide more protection. I've had larger pearls drilled with larger holes and I've used a #4 silk, 0.6 but I wouldn't recommend re-drilling the pearls, just use the larger thread if the hole is large enough to accommodate that. Silk thread is pretty strong...you just might need to restring it more often with so much weight from the strand. It will be something to watch. I've never done a really long strand with such large pearls.

Perhaps @pattye has a suggestion, she is a very experienced "stringer"!

Back