Wikipedia - Pearls

mausketeer

I was on Wikipedia yesterday looking to learn a bit more about pearls and I found it a bit confusing to be honest. It seemed a lot of terminology was missing (I don't think I recall one mention of the difference between "lustre" and "orient") They seemed to focus a lot on the difference between nacreous and non-nacreous pearls for some reason. Also on natural vs. cultured (as though that were a difficult distinction to understand? Really?) They didn't mention any of the treatments cultured pearls go through - anything like that. I was surprised because Wikipedia is usually very informative but it's only as good as the people who contribute to it.

I wondered if any of the experts on here had ever contributed to it? If anyone is qualified to contribute to a Wikipedia page I think it's some of the people on this forum!

last I remember they weren't allowing edits to the pearl pages, so I don't think they've changed in a long time - I don't remember the details though.

I looked at the page; the edit links are there so maybe they are allowing editing again.

Back