Where to purchase wholesale Akoya round Pearls at least AA+

I heard of one pearl which turned up green and the quick as a flash reason was that 'the oyster must have been sick'

This sort of thing is definitely unfortunate.

https://realdealpearls.com/

I am convinced it is the supplier's fault. I don't believe most of the people doing this know they are breaking the law any lying to people.

First, I want to personally thank the person that directed us to this thread. They have given us an enormous opportunity that many small business never have.

Second, I want to thank Jeremy for seeing this exactly as it is. We are committed to running an honest and transparent small business and it's more than frustrating to think that our supplier may have been less than honest with us. As such, we are preparing a sample from the supplier to be analyzed at an independent third party lab.

Real Deal Pearls is a family owned business that was founded for the sole purpose of making pearl jewelry affordable to women of all walks of life. Affordable luxury, that’s our motto. Many of you have seen, heard or experienced the recent uproar surrounding freshwater vs. Akoya saltwater pearls. Simply put, it is a PR nightmare for everyone involved. So, you can imagine our surprise when we awoke to an email this morning that accused us of being guilty of the same.

Our primary goal before ever going live was to source Akoya saltwater pearls for our customers. After looking at countless suppliers, we settled on one that we trusted. One that provided high quality pearls, shipped quickly and was extremely responsive to all of our probing questions.

Thanks to the email we received this morning, that supplier is now also in question. In the interest of honesty and transparency, we are in the process of removing all instances of “Akoya pearl” and “saltwater” from our website and marketing materials.

Again, we are also in the process of sending a sample from our supplier to an independent third party lab to be analyzed. We will then definitively know the origin and type of pearls that our supplier is sending us and publish that report.

We are also offering a full refund to anyone who has purchased a pearl from our shop through 10/20/2016.

I truly hope this thread reaches every small business marketing their oyster openings as Akoya pearls. There are quite a few that could surely benefit from knowing this information.

I think Jeremy is correct. I do NOT believe most people doing this KNOW they are being lied to by the supplier. I am just one that really investigates what something is and how it works by what to me are "experts" in the field such as yourselves before I actually "Jump in". Therefore, this thread and Jeremy investigating and letting people doing this KNOW what is right and what is not.

As I stated before, most wholesale suppliers state "Akoya Oyster" with "Real Pearl". Their wording is getting around the law for those that do NOT know this business and jump in. In reality the Oyster used IS an AKOYA! And the pearl is real but a freshwater not an Akoya Saltwater. The supplier's are playing on words! Very sneaky if you ask me!

Now I did get a quote for Akoya Oysters with Peals that was much higher than all others. So it's possible they are really Akoya Peals but taking this step is pretty scary to me at this point.

I would rather state they are Fresh Water Pearls or Cultured Pearls at this point to be honest in my business. That is IF I decide to do this after learning all this.

It would be nice to know what supplier's (wholesalers) can be trusted. Yet I know all of you work in the high end circles so probably wouldn't help in this instance.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and input!

Blessings

Lori

This sort of thing is definitely unfortunate.

https://realdealpearls.com/

I am convinced it is the supplier's fault. I don't believe most of the people doing this know they are breaking the law any lying to people.

Hi RealDealPearls!

So glad this thread helped your company! I believe you had no idea for the reasons I have stated through this thread. I feel ya!

I applaud you for offering refunds! That is a huge expense to any business let alone a small business. It shows your character and I hope you are blessed for it.

Blessings

Lori

First, I want to personally thank the person that directed us to this thread. They have given us an enormous opportunity that many small business never have.

Second, I want to thank Jeremy for seeing this exactly as it is. We are committed to running an honest and transparent small business and it's more than frustrating to think that our supplier may have been less than honest with us. As such, we are preparing a sample from the supplier to be analyzed at an independent third party lab.

Real Deal Pearls is a family owned business that was founded for the sole purpose of making pearl jewelry affordable to women of all walks of life. Affordable luxury, that’s our motto. Many of you have seen, heard or experienced the recent uproar surrounding freshwater vs. Akoya saltwater pearls. Simply put, it is a PR nightmare for everyone involved. So, you can imagine our surprise when we awoke to an email this morning that accused us of being guilty of the same.

Our primary goal before ever going live was to source Akoya saltwater pearls for our customers. After looking at countless suppliers, we settled on one that we trusted. One that provided high quality pearls, shipped quickly and was extremely responsive to all of our probing questions.

Thanks to the email we received this morning, that supplier is now also in question. In the interest of honesty and transparency, we are in the process of removing all instances of “Akoya pearl” and “saltwater” from our website and marketing materials.

Again, we are also in the process of sending a sample from our supplier to an independent third party lab to be analyzed. We will then definitively know the origin and type of pearls that our supplier is sending us and publish that report.

We are also offering a full refund to anyone who has purchased a pearl from our shop through 10/20/2016.

I truly hope this thread reaches every small business marketing their oyster openings as Akoya pearls. There are quite a few that could surely benefit from knowing this information.

I'm sorry you have been deceived, RDP. What a punch in the gut this must be, but it's awesome you are being honest and offering refunds.

I am glad you agree LVLanghanke! I am also very impressed RDP put that on their website with additional information regarding the pearls probably being "Freshwater"! Definitely an honest company in my eyes!

Blessings

Lori

I'm sorry you have been deceived, RDP. What a punch in the gut this must be, but it's awesome you are being honest and offering refunds.

I took the opportunity to visit their website. Low production quality aside, the host opens what are clearly identifiable as post-juvenile Akoya (Pinctada fucatda) oysters which have been preserved and packaged. Once shucked reveal a single pearl from the Chinese hybrid mussel (Hyriopsis schlegeli/cumingi). In one instance, a dyed pearl is presented to the viewer.

I then reviewed a video on their Facebook group. Again, despite the low quality phone camera video, shells and pearls were readily identifiable.

These are identical to this product : Wholesale 100pcs oyster pearl 6-7mm round akoya pearls vacuum-packed While the seller claims "wholesale", they're actually a retail product listed at $2.45 apiece. "High quality" as suggested in this press release is a stretch, when in reality have the lowest commercial value of any similar cultural pearl product.

In the video, the presenter shucks individually vacuum packaged oysters and appraises value. Of the few I watched, claimed the pearls have a values of $45 and $48 dollars.

While I can appreciate the representative chooses action to correct this matter, something deeply troubles me. If other members of this board and myself are readily able to identify the origin of these pearls by species and appearance in a low quality video, why is the representative's appraisal false when undertaken in person?

So I ask the RealDealPearls representative.... As to appraisal, what level of scientific criteria do you employ when identifying or differentiating pearl species and origin? Likewise, by which standard do you grade pearls to publicly value-add a product by nearly 2000% ?

Are you aware these are highly mass produced oysters, grown in polluted waters unfit for human use? Are you aware they are treated in a formaldehyde solution to sacrifice them and inhibit rotting? Are you aware once artificially implanted with previously harvested/graded/transported/wholesaled pearl, they're rinsed in a bromine solution as not to stink? Have you ever had a piece of fish or shellfish that went bad on you after a few days, no less one's that arrived in a bucket from China several months ago, without refrigeration?

Are you aware not one, but two oysters died to yield a single pearl and the shell bearing the pearl is not it's biological host? Do you disclose this to your clients? Don't ask, don't tell, perhaps?

Incidentally, I would never, ever handle one without proper barrier protection and definitely never in the presence of children. There's next to nothing about those shells that will educate a child about anything in nature nor pearl formation other than perpetuating a sham.

Please do not take a personal offense by my line of questioning or comment. Although guarded in my viewpoint, I offer the benefit of doubt, because I'm acutely savvy to the dark side of this scheme. I'm harsh toward the widespread insidiousness of pearl misinformation for profit in general, especially in the absence of sustainability, disclosure or regulatory scrutiny.

If anything, I suggest sticking around P-G a while. You'd be amazed what may be learned, shared or acquired.

Hi RealDealPearls!

So glad this thread helped your company! I believe you had no idea for the reasons I have stated through this thread. I feel ya!

I applaud you for offering refunds! That is a huge expense to any business let alone a small business. It shows your character and I hope you are blessed for it.

Blessings

Lori

Thank you for your kind words Lori and blessings to you and your business as well! As we said, we are committed to running an honest small business so the decision to offer refunds was an easy one to make as was the decision to change all marketing material and messaging. Thanks again!

Vance

It's definitely a punch in the gut LVLanghanke! We poured our hearts and souls into doing everything right before ever going live including pitching dozens of samples that were sub-par in our opinion. The samples went off to the lab today and we are nearly done changing all the marketing material and messaging. We even brought someone in to force updates to Google so search results would be up to date. Thank you for your kind words. Vance

Last edited:
I took the opportunity to visit their website. Low production quality aside, the host opens what are clearly identifiable as post-juvenile Akoya (Pinctada fucatda) oysters which have been preserved and packaged. Once shucked reveal a single pearl from the Chinese hybrid mussel (Hyriopsis schlegeli/cumingi). In one instance, a dyed pearl is presented to the viewer.

I then reviewed a video on their Facebook group. Again, despite the low quality phone camera video, shells and pearls were readily identifiable.

These are identical to this product : Wholesale 100pcs oyster pearl 6-7mm round akoya pearls vacuum-packed While the seller claims "wholesale", they're actually a retail product listed at $2.45 apiece. "High quality" as suggested in this press release is a stretch, when in reality have the lowest commercial value of any similar cultural pearl product.

In the video, the presenter shucks individually vacuum packaged oysters and appraises value. Of the few I watched, claimed the pearls have a values of $45 and $48 dollars.

While I can appreciate the representative chooses action to correct this matter, something deeply troubles me. If other members of this board and myself are readily able to identify the origin of these pearls by species and appearance in a low quality video, why is the representative's appraisal false when undertaken in person?

So I ask the RealDealPearls representative.... As to appraisal, what level of scientific criteria do you employ when identifying or differentiating pearl species and origin? Likewise, by which standard do you grade pearls to publicly value-add a product by nearly 2000% ?

Are you aware these are highly mass produced oysters, grown in polluted waters unfit for human use? Are you aware they are treated in a formaldehyde solution to sacrifice them and inhibit rotting? Are you aware once artificially implanted with previously harvested/graded/transported/wholesaled pearl, they're rinsed in a bromine solution as not to stink? Have you ever had a piece of fish or shellfish that went bad on you after a few days, no less one's that arrived in a bucket from China several months ago, without refrigeration?

Are you aware not one, but two oysters died to yield a single pearl and the shell bearing the pearl is not it's biological host? Do you disclose this to your clients? Don't ask, don't tell, perhaps?

Incidentally, I would never, ever handle one without proper barrier protection and definitely never in the presence of children. There's next to nothing about those shells that will educate a child about anything in nature nor pearl formation other than perpetuating a sham.

Please do not take a personal offense by my line of questioning or comment. Although guarded in my viewpoint, I offer the benefit of doubt, because I'm acutely savvy to the dark side of this scheme. I'm harsh toward the widespread insidiousness of pearl misinformation for profit in general, especially in the absence of sustainability, disclosure or regulatory scrutiny.

If anything, I suggest sticking around P-G a while. You'd be amazed what may be learned, shared or acquired.

Please see the answers to your questions in bold. And we appreciate the opportunity to answer them!

So I ask the RealDealPearls representative.... As to appraisal, what level of scientific criteria do you employ when identifying or differentiating pearl species and origin? Likewise, by which standard do you grade pearls to publicly value-add a product by nearly 2000% ? We too used the guide that states the publisher as National Pearl Association of the United States, but seeing as how that company never existed (or shows no signs of ever have existing) to begin with (Thank you for bringing that to light Jeremy), that information has also been removed from our website and all videos referencing values removed from our marketing material. We only ever referenced a value range on the website with the disclaimer that it not meant to be used as a formal appraisal.

Are you aware these are highly mass produced oysters, grown in polluted waters unfit for human use? Are you aware they are treated in a formaldehyde solution to sacrifice them and inhibit rotting? Are you aware once artificially implanted with previously harvested/graded/transported/wholesaled pearl, they're rinsed in a bromine solution as not to stink? Have you ever had a piece of fish or shellfish that went bad on you after a few days, no less one's that arrived in a bucket from China several months ago, without refrigeration? We are aware that they are treated, and yes, we are aware that the large majority of the water in the farming region is polluted to some degree. I'm sure you would agree that the only way to tell definitively the level of pollution and the treatment agents would be to have them tested. Yes we are aware the pearls are implanted. As for the bad fish question I'm going to assume that's rhetorical... -

Are you aware not one, but two oysters died to yield a single pearl and the shell bearing the pearl is not it's biological host? Do you disclose this to your clients? Don't ask, don't tell, perhaps? This question is open to interpretation. In fact, according to pearls.com, "Not only does removing a pearl not kill the oyster that produced it, Pearl Farmers are extremely careful not to harm their oysters… In fact, pearl farmers typically use surgical-style instruments to harvest pearls. As oysters age, they typically produce better and better pearls. So why on earth would an oyster farmer want to harm them? Pearl Farmers are usually quite focused on ‘tending their flock’ with great care!" Is this also misinformation? I have to believe there is some truth behind it because surely the way you're describing is not a sustainable business model capable of nearing its 100 year anniversary.

Incidentally, I would never, ever handle one without proper barrier protection and definitely never in the presence of children. There's next to nothing about those shells that will educate a child about anything in nature nor pearl formation other than perpetuating a sham. Are you suggesting that we wear gloves? We are open to that suggestion. Our son likes to be involved and while it may not be inherently educational, he finds it fascinating from a nature and a business perspective. As for being in the presence of children, pick a pearl is hugely popular at Disney where children are just inches away from the oyster so again, I find this opinion open to interpretation.

Please do not take a personal offense by my line of questioning or comment. Although guarded in my viewpoint, I offer the benefit of doubt, because I'm acutely savvy to the dark side of this scheme. I'm harsh toward the widespread insidiousness of pearl misinformation for profit in general, especially in the absence of sustainability, disclosure or regulatory scrutiny. No offense taken (we are however disheartened by the low quality production comment(S) - this is a family run small business, not a multi billion dollar media corporation and our fans prefer it that way). I hope I have answered your questions to the fullest degree possible and please know that we are doing everything possible to ensure we are not perpetuating the level of misinformation currently saturating the internet.

If anything, I suggest sticking around P-G a while. You'd be amazed what may be learned, shared or acquired. - We plan to!

Finally, I think it important to note that the link you shared may have an identical looking product, but that company was not one we considered due to the blatantly obvious conflicting information describing the pearls in the product overview sections. And, the answer to your final question about identifying the pearl in person, we can only attribute this to the rampant misinformation that we walked into being presented by the largest pearl party organization on the market. They are truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Simply looking at one that was once called saltwater Akoya and our supplier's, the difference was not clear in the slightest. So we will be the first to say shame on us for not sending them to a lab from day one. And that is why we offered refunds to everyone who purchased. Even after the information went public, looking at those pearls from years back didn't show any glaring differences to the naked eye. So it is with both a heavy heart and a positive outlook that we move forward from this experience wiser and with an intense commitment to being honest and transparent and perpetuating accurate information for many years to come.

Vance

No offense taken (we are however disheartened by the low quality production comment

Thank you for your response.

I mentioned the video quality, because of our ability to discern a pearl seen within it. This was not a slight to your equipment or abilities. I apologize for not clarifying this in my previous post.

Even after the information went public, looking at those pearls from years back didn't show any glaring differences to the naked eye.

But they do, Vance. Again, if we can ID pearls from a phone cam, certainly you ought to be able with your eyes.

To use a rhetorical question, Why would anyone buy a genuine pearl from anyone, when they're unable to differentiate a salt or freshwater species? Jeremey mentioned in an earlier post, that peach or lavender colors are exclusive to FW mollusks. As a learning experience, I challenge you find a listing for genuine lavender or peach colored akoyas that are indistinguishable from CFWP at $2.45 each. How many natural color black akoyas have you seen? Truth is, they don't exist. Therefore, how can you suggest that a dyed FWP is indistinguishable from one?

You quoted Pearl-Guide on mollusk husbandry from farmers. You mistakenly applied the standard from which gem grade farmers operate. Operations in Australia, Tahiti, Indonesia, Mexico etc. operate with the highest regard for ethical production and marketing. It cannot be even remotely compared to the Pick-a-Pearl sham from China. On salt water farms, if an oyster is healthy and produces a good quality pearl, it may be a candidate for "regrafting". In this manner, a single oyster may produce two (possibly three) pearls in it's lifetime. This is clearly not the case with Pick-a-Pearl buckets.

I work with shellfish every day. Not only do I study natural pearl formation, I draw scientific parallels to water quality, climate change and monitor invasive species. I also do routine sampling for the federal government with respect to public health and saftey. I provide samples from contaminated areas for fecal coliform, paralytic shellfish poisoning and other transient pathogens. Even though the water I'm testing is only fractionally contaminated compared to Chinese watercourses, I'm compelled to wear barrier protection and may only ship in certified biomedical containment vessels. I am not allowed to eat or distribute mussels for other purposes because of implied or inherent dangers. At one time, I was permitted to offer the residual tissues for crab bait in a local fishery, but the likelihood of cross contamination is too great and the practice is ended.

You mentioned Disneyland. Why would one encourage misleading kids? Do you want them to grow up making the same mistakes as you've made. What's the example being set? Clean environment, kind to nature, honesty? Clearly it's neither of those.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.

I mentioned the video quality, because of our ability to discern a pearl seen within it. This was not a slight to your equipment or abilities. I apologize for not clarifying this in my previous post.

But they do, Vance. Again, if we can ID pearls from a phone cam, certainly you ought to be able with your eyes.

To use a rhetorical question, Why would anyone buy a genuine pearl from anyone, when they're unable to differentiate a salt or freshwater species? Jeremey mentioned in an earlier post, that peach or lavender colors are exclusive to FW mollusks. As a learning experience, I challenge you find a listing for genuine lavender or peach colored akoyas that are indistinguishable from CFWP at $2.45 each. How many natural color black akoyas have you seen? Truth is, they don't exist. Therefore, how can you suggest that a dyed FWP is indistinguishable from one?

You quoted Pearl-Guide on mollusk husbandry from farmers. You mistakenly applied the standard from which gem grade farmers operate. Operations in Australia, Tahiti, Indonesia, Mexico etc. operate with the highest regard for ethical production and marketing. It cannot be even remotely compared to the Pick-a-Pearl sham from China. On salt water farms, if an oyster is healthy and produces a good quality pearl, it may be a candidate for "regrafting". In this manner, a single oyster may produce two (possibly three) pearls in it's lifetime. This is clearly not the case with Pick-a-Pearl buckets.

I work with shellfish every day. Not only do I study natural pearl formation, I draw scientific parallels to water quality, climate change and monitor invasive species. I also do routine sampling for the federal government with respect to public health and saftey. I provide samples from contaminated areas for fecal coliform, paralytic shellfish poisoning and other transient pathogens. Even though the water I'm testing is only fractionally contaminated compared to Chinese watercourses, I'm compelled to wear barrier protection and may only ship in certified biomedical containment vessels. I am not allowed to eat or distribute mussels for other purposes because of implied or inherent dangers. At one time, I was permitted to offer the residual tissues for crab bait in a local fishery, but the likelihood of cross contamination is too great and the practice is ended.

You mentioned Disneyland. Why would one encourage misleading kids? Do you want them to grow up making the same mistakes as you've made. What's the example being set? Clean environment, kind to nature, honesty? Clearly it's neither of those.

First, we respect what you do, your knowledge and expertise and you as a person.

Second, we are vehemently against internet discussion thread bickering. Everything is open to interpretation. If anyone would like to reach out to us directly please do so, but we refuse to continue this clearly endless back and forth.

Finally, not that it's anyone's business, but we raise our child to be honest and respectful, inquisitive and creative, loving and kind and encourage him to explore his individuality, dreams, and ideas no matter what that may look like. I referenced Disney to visualize a point. That is all.

Your comments, while they may come from a place of genuine concern, read more like bullying and we won't be engaging with you in the future.

Vance

My initial pearl farm license at Lagoon Island was issued in 1986, but for several years previously, I've worked with fish and shellfish.

In 1989, I took a trip to Maui. In the lobby of the place where I was staying, there was a Pick-a-Pearl kiosk. The girl who worked there was very friendly and seemed well informed. I mentioned pearls were something I work with in Canada. Naturally, she was surprised and intrigued that such a thing was possible outside of Japan.

I streamed a number of questions, which she answered to the best of her knowledge.

I then asked to buy ten oysters, in the shell. Unopened. She explained it was not encouraged, as they were dangerously inedible. After assuring her my intentions were solely to investigate the procedure, she agreed.

When I returned to my unit, I observed these. The first thing noted, although the animals were deceased, the shells did not gape. Practically ALL shells of bivalve mollusks are adducted. This means shellfish use muscular energy to close the shells. Hence the term "adductor muscle". In nearly any natural setting, shells "spring" open when shucked, cooked or die by natural causes. Cooked, unopened shells being bad is largely a myth. There is nothing in pathology to suggest muscles remain adducted post mortem, unless the hinge itself is damaged or malformed. Even if it were, the tissues would not necessarily be inedible.

Next, I sought to investigate the position of pearl itself. It was then I discovered there was no healed scar, nor even a pearl sac. Instead a single incision was made and the pearl was forced into connective tissues between the adductor and the vicseral mass.

In those days, Pick-a-Pearl specimens were indeed bead grafted round akoya pearls. They were among the lowest marketable grades, hence directed to the pearl kiosks in high tourist traffic areas. Likewise, in those times, Japan had legislation prohibiting the disclosure pearl culture techniques. On the face of it, opening a pearl before a client seemed like reasonable disclosure, when in actual fact was purposefully deceptive.

When I returned to the kiosk, I mentioned I could find no evidence of these shells hosting the pearls. She admitted I was correct. When asked why she never mentioned this earlier, she emphasized being advised to operate under a don't ask, don't tell policy AND to target the customer for value added purchases, by offering to pre-drill the pearl at no cost.

I observed several sales. Quite a few of them purchased findings or other settings. Pendants seemed popular. Several times, she was asked their value. Each and every time, she'd look at her receipt strips and quote the exact dollar amount paid by the tourist for the pearl and setting. Never once, did she quote from a bogus grading standard nor appraised inflated value.

Nowadays, not so much. The Chinese FWP market co-opted this opportunity and to this day exploit it to the worse.

Agree Dave - says everything, after all the false squishy stuff about blessings and honesty.
I'm not as nice as you. I wish them no luck whatsoever

Agree Dave - says everything, after all the false squishy stuff about blessings and honesty.

I pleaded with them to not take it personally.

Considering they've dismissed my integrity and continue to pass off these trinkets as luxury items, I may as well mention other apprehensions. For example, their claim about sending pearls to an "independent third party lab". Why would they mention a third party? In any scientific circle, that suggests they have a lab and in the interest of objectivity, offer the samples elsewhere for analysis.

As such, we are preparing a sample from the supplier to be analyzed at an independent third party lab.

Why wouldn't they divulge or mention which lab? I mean really. It's not like there's hundreds or even dozens out there. What's to be gained by being evasive about the lab? They obviously know nothing about pearls, hence I seriously doubt they have any idea which facilities are good and which are not. If anything, being a pearl forum, you'd think they'd ask? At any rate, they'll likely be bilked by some nonexistent lab like the bogus appraisal list they were furnished with. Besides that, walk into any respectable lab with handful of Chinese FWP, they'll probably sigh, then tell them to not waste their money.

Unless they send them to Geneva or Mumbai, the only other alternative in the USA has members in this group.

They mentioned a phantom source. They denied these were from Alibaba as their source was more reliable, timely and responsive. I say, show us the bucket. There's nothing proprietary about them. Otherwise, why hide it? They claim a genuine concern for others using the product, so why not mention the company? Why not scream from the rooftops?

Probing questions? #facepalm. Countless? #joke. Trusted? #BS. They know damned well these are high volume factory pearls. For that product, there's no customer service hotline and they're most certainly not high quality pearls.

So apparently they target akoyas. I can't get in anyone's head, but in this day and age, why exclusively "akoya"? Wholesale purchasing akoyas is not something one just decides to do by making a few phone calls, no less shopping around for better deals. One could consider perhaps maybe they have a special reverence for akoya for whatever reason, but then you'd at least think they'd be able recognize one if they saw it, no less discern it from a freshwater pearl. Even the most novice pearl seller knows akoya are bead grafted and low end FWPs are not.

The real kicker though, was the claim they could not physically tell the difference between a FWP and a pearl that does not exist. The mythical black akoya. BUSTED! Send the jury home.

To that end, I dismiss their platitudes and equivocations.

Credit has it's due. They've altered their business model, but remain in business, selling the same products. Opening saltwater pearls oysters to reveal freshwater pearls inside.

At the end of the day, it's just another example of the Pick-a-pearl sham.

What Sea Urchin said.

I remember my grandma telling me about how when she was in San Diego she participated in a pick a live oyster sort of kiosk thing. But I remember her telling me that they were live oysters in a tank, and that some of them had pearls and some of them did not, that was the gamble. I vividly recall her telling me that the most likely oyster to have a pearl would be the oldest, and to look for the most stuff growing on it (she called it "hair"). I have the pearl she ended up finding in the live oyster she selected. She had it set into a nice gold ring and the pearl looks like an akoya (this was the 70s), the box was labeled Murata. Of course, I've not found any info on that company online other than what's been posted in PG previously.

I think something like that is a real experience and not at all false or fraudulent like the pick a pearl sham. As a child, it was one of the first educational experiences regarding learning where pearls came from.

Last edited:
Back